The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20130330033506/http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2005-April/016297.html

[Wikitech-l] Category array

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 12:14:27 UTC 2005

On 4/10/05, Richard Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/05, Dennis Schaaf <dennis.schaaf at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to play around with the category page a little bit. Everything would
> > be a lot easier if I could just somehow get an array with all pages listed in
> > category x. Can you guys give me some hints on how to create such a function?
> > Unfortunately the databaselayout does not talk about categorylinks.
> >
> Dennis,
>
> cl_to is the name of the category.
> cl_from is the id of the page that belongs to that category -- matches cur_id
> cl_sortkey gives the page name that should be used when sorting the
> category list.
>
> So,
> SELECT cl_from FROM categoryLinks WHERE cl_to="Albania"
> will return a table with the cur_id's for all pages in category Albania
>
> -- Rich Holton
>
> [[W:en:User:Rholton]]

Also, as GeraldM points out in a separate thread, if you're looking to
do this for a large installation like Wikipedia, some categories may
grow quite large--perhaps into 10's of thousands of pages (think of
category:stub).  So, depending on how and where you want to use this,
PHP arrays may be impractical.

-Rich Holton

--

[[W:en:User:Rholton]]