Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
If i run the compute test one after another without pause, then the score will drop slightly for each test. But if i complete the first test then force close geekbench and run another 2nd test then the score remain consistent 9300++ for both test. So i guess something wrong in the apps

Hmm, I didn't think to kill the Geekbench app and then re-test, but I'm getting the same result if I do that. Good to know it's not just me.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
The 14.6 Beta Release Candidate seems to have fixed the issue for me as well. I've ran multiple Geekbench CPU tests including after startup and they're all normal.

My only concern is that if I run the "Compute" (GPU) test twice in a row, every test after the initial one will be too low, but force quitting the Geekbench app and running another test restores it to normal. Anyone else seeing this?

But if you don't want to wait for the official 14.6 drop, you can install the release candidate beta, and then remove the Beta profile. If the final release is a higher build number, you'll still be prompted to update. If not, then you're good and you have the final version.

mario.jr

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
There is somenthing on the boot that is generating those inconsistent results.
Ive restarted my 12 pro max a couple of times and got bad and good results. Maybe a dfu install would solve it?

Last edited:

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
For everyone on the 14.6 beta, could you run 3 "Compute" (GPU) tests in a row without killing the app and report if your scores go down with each test?

I'm on 14.6 beta and it did seem to fix the CPU throttling issue, but if I run 3 Compute tests in a row, the scores get lower. However, if I force quit the Geekbench app and re-open it and run another test, they return to normal.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
iPhone 7. Just installed 14.5.1. One of the worst updates ever. On bootup, the iPhone is totally lagged, takes forever to connect to wifi, has trouble finding cell service, apps either don't launch or are nonfunctional. It seems to even out a bit after it's been on for a while, but the performance is still degraded.

The iOS team needs to get this **** sorted, and fast, because a lot of us are having the same problem with this garbage update.

Reactions: coffeeplease

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Updated my old iPhone 7 since it was on an old iOS 14 beta build. Wow, this thing is crippled now and can't imagine using this. Swiping on the home screen has a 1-2 second delay. How did this even get released???

Reactions: TMax

gericb

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
please, stop with this thing !

It does not really "kill the battery" to charge a smartphone overnight. Or it is really insignificant, seriously.

if someone here has got a proof that charging from 20 to 100 overnight is something that kills the battery, I would like to see it !
there are hardware and i'm pretty sure software protections and limitations that are already implemanted to avoid those over voltages problems
Certainly the "Battery Optimization" setting helps, if it is left on. But that's not the point, of simply being left plugged in. There are many factors that affect battery life. Number of times plugged into the charger, heat, charge levels. Try getting a Flir, and check the temperature of an iPhone plugged in over night, to one that hasn't been, it's much hotter. You think if you closed all of your apps. and had the iPhone at 100% when you went to sleep, it would magically be at 100% when you wake up - good luck with that?! So what do you think the phone is doing all night long, draining, topping, draining, topping...all along, at increased operating temperature. The higher the power (wattage) charger you are using, the faster it will decrease battery life, but sure, it will get charged faster...like those that use their iPad charger for their iPhone. IF you run a side-by-side comparisons, as I have done with identical iPhone in our business use, you can clearly see the difference in the "Maximum Capacity" field, for 1YR, as our business upgrades several Apple products to the newest model, yearly. Sure, most modern Lithium core technology batteries last longer than all previous technologies. The generally recommended cycle for Lithium core batteries is 20% - 80%, no lower, no higher, and definitely NOT draining all the way, or worse, putting away a device at like 20% for an extended time, where the battery can actually get to 0% as a human mental reference, this can kill or damage a battery.

Wonder why you have never heard of someone needing to replace their Lithium core technology battery in their EV or Hybrid car after years and years and years?! Yet people are having to get their batteries in their devices all the time, sometimes in a really short time, 2YRS, most around 4YRS.

You inability to understand the chemistry that is going on, and "show me proof, or it doesn't exist" is pointless, it's been well documented for many years in an overall function of age/temperature/cycles/wattage, etc.

A Layman's Guildines:

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
No offense, but you really, really shouldn't obsess over the battery health anymore. For almost ALL users, your battery's health will be good for at least two years no matter how you treat it. At that point you'll probably either be getting a new phone soon, or you can plop down a small fee for a replacement battery. If you're careful with it you might make it to three years.

With my last iPhone, I had it for almost three years and the battery health was still at 92%. I charged it overnight almost always. In my experience, the people who are constantly plugging and unplugging their phone throughout the day because they're constantly worried about it dying when they need it are the ones that end up with worse batteries than those who charge it overnight and don't worry about it during the day.

If you still have a phone that displays the battery percentage at all times, turn that off and stop obsessing over it.

Reactions: Trader05 and seezar

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Just updated to 14.6. iPhones 12 pro max running faster and produces less heat now. GB score is consistently Single 1601 Multi 4155. Finally, now I feel my purchase is worth it.

Reactions: Samdh90

amigosan

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Certainly the "Battery Optimization" setting helps, if it is left on. But that's not the point, of simply being left plugged in. There are many factors that affect battery life. Number of times plugged into the charger, heat, charge levels. Try getting a Flir, and check the temperature of an iPhone plugged in over night, to one that hasn't been, it's much hotter. You think if you closed all of your apps. and had the iPhone at 100% when you went to sleep, it would magically be at 100% when you wake up - good luck with that?! So what do you think the phone is doing all night long, draining, topping, draining, topping...all along, at increased operating temperature. The higher the power (wattage) charger you are using, the faster it will decrease battery life, but sure, it will get charged faster...like those that use their iPad charger for their iPhone. IF you run a side-by-side comparisons, as I have done with identical iPhone in our business use, you can clearly see the difference in the "Maximum Capacity" field, for 1YR, as our business upgrades several Apple products to the newest model, yearly. Sure, most modern Lithium core technology batteries last longer than all previous technologies. The generally recommended cycle for Lithium core batteries is 20% - 80%, no lower, no higher, and definitely NOT draining all the way, or worse, putting away a device at like 20% for an extended time, where the battery can actually get to 0% as a human mental reference, this can kill or damage a battery.

Wonder why you have never heard of someone needing to replace their Lithium core technology battery in their EV or Hybrid car after years and years and years?! Yet people are having to get their batteries in their devices all the time, sometimes in a really short time, 2YRS, most around 4YRS.

You inability to understand the chemistry that is going on, and "show me proof, or it doesn't exist" is pointless, it's been well documented for many years in an overall function of age/temperature/cycles/wattage, etc.

A Layman's Guildines:

Ok thank you but I already know all of this just lost my time reading this message

not saying it is not true that it can make the battery being used a little bit more, but it is negligible if you at least don’t let the phone charge under 20% everyday.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to write all of this but next time just stay cool dude lol

Furthermore a phone is made to be used and the battery replaceable so if you wanna keep paranoid about saving 5% of battery life on a 2 year period that is up to you,(furthermore I’ve already been reading about all those things)

have a good day the chemistry professional

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
14.6 put on this morning, and will give it a day to settle down. I’d noticed I was getting freezes previously when I used Brave browser. These are no longer happening.
14.5.1 was a shambles of an update (on my device). If 14.6 proves to be decent, I’ll not be updating again until weeks after the updates are out. Make sure Apple haven’t sprinkled in their special slow sauce.

d1zguy

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2021
Is this really fixed? Downgraded to 14.5 when they were still signing but don't want to get on 14.6 if its still an issue. will give it a few weeks

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Is this really fixed? Downgraded to 14.5 when they were still signing but don't want to get on 14.6 if its still an issue. will give it a few weeks
So far, it looks like this issue was resolved. If you are hesitant, probably best to wait but I would keep looking at bug reports that other users report. It's up to you but I would think that if this issue crops back up, it would do so in a matter of days, not weeks.

Reactions: d1zguy

gericb

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Ok thank you but I already know all of this just lost my time reading this message

not saying it is not true that it can make the battery being used a little bit more, but it is negligible if you at least don’t let the phone charge under 20% everyday.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to write all of this but next time just stay cool dude lol

Furthermore a phone is made to be used and the battery replaceable so if you wanna keep paranoid about saving 5% of battery life on a 2 year period that is up to you,(furthermore I’ve already been reading about all those things)

have a good day the chemistry professional
Have a good day - The Electronics Professional

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Battery life is seems fine in 14.6 to me, people complain about battery life for every single iOS update ever for the entire history of iPhone. The reason is your phone will use more battery initially after any update and people who already obsess over battery life will also be paying closer attention to it.

Last edited:

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The score back to normal on 14.6 but on youtube i saw some video say the battey life sucks, so stay on 14.5 iguess
This can happen for various reasons, seemingly unrelated to the OS version. As previously mentioned in this thread, 14.4.X caused significant drain of my iPhone 11's battery together with reduced performance. It turned out to be an iCloud issue that I was eventually able to solve, one that I've found numerous old threads on from different iOS versions throughout the years. 14.5, 14.5.1, and 14.6 have all been rock solid for me so far with good performance and battery life.

d1zguy

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2021
Well been on 14.6 for about a week, so far performance is the same as 14.5 or slightly better, battery life is similar or better. All is well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.