Luna Display now supports using a Mac as a second display over Thunderbolt, Ethernet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Astropad has updated its Luna Display app to allow users to use one Mac as a display for a host not just over wireless networking, but also over a wired Ethernet or Thunderbolt connection.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple stopped supporting Target Display Mode back in 2014 with the release of macOS Mojave. But, as Astropad announced on Wednesday, Luna Display now offers a wired, third-party workaround.

"Previously, Mac-to-Mac Mode only worked over Luna's wireless connection. With today's update, Mac-to-Mac Mode will also support Ethernet and Thunderbolt connection between Macs, with a seamless set-up process," Astropad wrote.

The feature will allow users to use a Mac as a secondary display with full trackpad and keyboard support across both devices. As the company notes, users can leverage multiple combinations -- including a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini or two MacBooks.

There is a caveat to the third-party alternative, however. Currently, the second machine in Mac-to-Mac mode is limited to non-Retina resolutions. Astropad says it is exploring introducing 4K and 5K support sometime in the future.

In addition to the Mac-to-Mac mode, the Luna Display 4.5 update also includes a refreshed icon, more reliable Retina support on M1 Macs, and more.

The Luna Display adapter costs $99. The primary Mac needs to be a 2011 model or newer. Both the primary and second Macs need to be running macOS 10.11 El Capitan or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    I’m not following… we don’t have “4K” or “5K” capability, but more reliable support for “retina displays”?

And why mention a new icon? Really? I guess their list of new features didn’t seem long enough… LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    hucom2000 said:
    I’m not following… we don’t have “4K” or “5K” capability, but more reliable support for “retina displays”?

And why mention a new icon? Really? I guess their list of new features didn’t seem long enough… LOL
    The improved Retina support on M1 is with an iPad, has nothing to do with the Mac to Mac support they’re talking about.  

What’s new in Luna Display 4.5

• Mac-to-Mac Mode now supports Ethernet and Thunderbolt connection between Macs
    • Primary Luna app now shows a battery indicator for the secondary device
    • Secondary Mac keyboard enhancements: key repeats are properly working
    • Refreshed macOS app icons
    • Retina support on M1 is more reliable now
    • In the iOS app: enhanced compatibility with 2020 iPad Air
    • General bug fixes and improvements
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    eagerly plugged my luna in and still the same old troubles with multi-screen mac setup, the mouse cursor disappears when it's not in the Luna window. For me, Apple Remote Desktop works better - I'm sure others have better experiences. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    indieshack said:
    eagerly plugged my luna in and still the same old troubles with multi-screen mac setup, the mouse cursor disappears when it's not in the Luna window. For me, Apple Remote Desktop works better - I'm sure others have better experiences. 
    Apple Remote Desktop does not give your Mac a second display.  It only lets you remote control another Mac & mirror the remote display on your Mac's screen.

Different products, with different purposes.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    indieshack said:
    Works just fine for me and always has. By "Luna window" you mean your iPad? Do you have your display arrangement set up as your physical screens are arranged in the real world so that your cursor goes where you expect it to? Sounds like user error to me, especially since you say ARD works better and it's not even a similar product (???).
    watto_cobra