Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly two years following the release of iOS and iPadOS 13, which included native, built-in, and systemwide dark mode, Snapchat, one of the world's most prominent social media networks, has finally rolled out a dark mode theme for iOS users.

snapchat-dark-mode.jpeg

Snapchat began testing a dark mode theme of its app design late last year with a small group of iOS users. Now, Snapchat says that as of this week, it has flipped the switch on access to dark mode for more than 90% of its iOS user base, offering millions of users access to the less eye-straining app interface.

Snapchat is offering three different types of "Appearance" modes for iOS users to choose from. The first mode maintains a dark theme for the app regardless of the default iOS system theme, the second mode maintains a light theme for the app, and the third mode matches the iOS setting.

Snapchat users can enable dark mode like so: Tap the Settings icon in the top-right hand corner, navigate the list, tap "App Appearance," then enable either "Always Dark," "Always Light," or "Match System."

Dark mode on Android will start rolling out in the coming months.

Article Link: Snapchat Rolls Out Dark Mode on iOS

• Haha
Reactions: LeadingHeat

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Dark mode is awesome!

Almost all of the apps that I use on a daily basis now have dark mode - I’m very happy Snapchat finally updated their app to include this

Dark mode definitely gives me so much more battery life - makes my iPhone 12 Pro able to get through the day without plugging it in

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Dark mode is awesome!

Almost all of the apps that I use on a daily basis now have dark mode - I’m very happy Snapchat finally updated their app to include this

Dark mode definitely gives me so much more battery life

Agreed, it is so much easier on the eyes!

Only another decade or so and the Atlassian devs might implement it in Jira... ?

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
About 6 years too late with that one. That app had to go the second they introduced that propaganda screen full of pop-culture trash and degenerate clickbait clips intertwined with my friends stories. That was the moment they doubled down on their target demographic being teenagers and those with double digit intelligence quotients.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Lol.

Dark Mode is so easy to implement even for individual devs, I can't believe such a huge business is so late to the party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.