Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 12 battery drains while using MagSafe Battery Pack

Why does my iPhone battery drain while using the MagSafe Battery pack? I understand it’s 5Wh but sheesh! Defected?

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 4:57 AM

The same! It was attached for more than an hour, and iphone’s battery gone from 21% to zero, while showing charging status, but battery pack remained 100% for the whole time. I'm doing something wrong??

20 replies

Aug 2, 2021 9:30 PM in response to IzzyFromNYC

Same issue iPhone 12 Pro. I notice when I attach my battery pack, there is an internal "click" sound before it attaches to my

phone. I'm wondering if what I'm hearing isn't the magnetic pull moving the charging coil internal in the pack, leading to an extreme reduction in efficiency while charging. Manufacturing defect? It always gets hot, seems like my phone energy is just being lost to heat whenever the battery is attached. I've watched it charge to 0 while on the pack multiple times.

Jul 29, 2021 3:48 AM in response to that_user_name

Ideally it should at least HOLD the current charge of the phone, as is the case with other chargers/powerbanks.

The phone use isn’t even heavy, simple social media browsing causes the pack battery to not charge. This is a deal breaker for me hence I’m returning the product.

Doesn’t make sense for me if the use case is to TOTALLY NOT USE MY PHONE in order for the magsafe powerbank to do its job.

Aug 3, 2021 1:27 AM in response to elzee13

I went to the Apple Store to check other batteries, all of them make that weird sound.

I also have the draining issue, they replaced both my 12 Pro and the battery pack, I came home and did a fresh reinstall (no restoring backup) and still have same heating draining issues.

I think this is a core software or hardware issue that they’ll need to address at some point.

Aug 5, 2021 4:51 AM in response to IzzyFromNYC

I don’t have the MagSafe battery showing up in my iPhone 12mini as a battery at all. It has a green light for 5 seconds when i plug it into a charger without being attached to my phone. It stays green when attached to my phone while on a charger. But i have no status of the MagSafe on my phone. Further. It doesn’t charge the phone. Hello. Matter of fact. It appears to drain the phone. Help

Aug 5, 2021 8:41 AM in response to Xgrunerud

Today is the first day I have had my cellular setting set to "5g Auto". The Magsafe Battery Pack is now keeping my phone topped off at 90% as it should.

Before making this change, I had my cellular setting set to "5g On" and my Magsafe Battery Pack would only charge the phone when I was not using my phone and the screen was off. Even simply streaming music would cause it to not charge.

I have reported this bug to Apple in hopes that the Magsafe Battery Pack will work properly when "5g on" is enabled with a future update.

My iPhone 12 battery drains while using MagSafe Battery Pack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.