Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 17.4, currently in beta, Apple is allowing alternative app marketplaces on the iPhone in the EU. Apple made this change to comply with new regulations under the EU's Digital Markets Act, which takes full effect next month.

app-store-awards-2022.jpg

In an interview with Fast Company's Michael Grothaus published today, Apple's former marketing chief and current App Store head Phil Schiller said there are privacy and security risks associated with these alternative app marketplaces:
"These new regulations, while they bring new options for developers, also bring new risks. There's no getting around that. So we're doing everything we can to minimize those risks for everyone," Schiller told me in a recent discussion about the privacy and security impact of the European Commission's Digital Markets Act.
One of these risks is the potential for users to download malicious or unsafe apps, although Apple will be notarizing all apps through a combination of automated processes and a basic human review in order to prevent these apps from being available on alternative app marketplaces as much as possible. Still, Apple has said notarization will not be as thorough as its App Store review process and guidelines that developers must adhere to.

ios-app-store-notarization-eu.jpg

Another risk is that the App Store's strict rules surrounding objectionable content might not extend to alternative app marketplaces, according to Schiller:
"We have dealt with a lot of input from families, from governments, on things that we need to do to try to either not allow certain kinds of objectionable content on our App Store, or give users control over that experience to decide what’s best for themselves—and we have rules around that," Schiller says. "Those rules will not apply in another marketplace unless they choose to make rules of their own, [with] whatever criteria they come up with. Does that increase the risk of users, and families, running into objectionable content or other experiences? Yes, it does."
Schiller's comments reiterate many of the risks that Apple outlined on its website:
If not properly managed, alternative distribution poses increased privacy, safety, and security risks for users and developers. This includes risks from installing software from unknown developers that are not subject to the Apple Developer Program requirements, installing software that compromises system integrity with malware or other malicious code, the distribution of pirated software, exposure to illicit, objectionable, and harmful content due to lower content and moderation standards, and increased risks of scams, fraud, and abuse. Apple has less ability to address these risks, and to support and refund customers regarding these issues. Even with safeguards, many of these risks remain.
The full interview can be read on Fast Company's website.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller Discusses Risks of Alternative App Stores on iPhone

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Well anything in life is a risk but if I want to jump out of a plane or install some 3rd party app, that’s my decision to make.

Next
You are not wrong, but from Apple's perspective, not only do they not want to lose control, but when security issues inevitably occur, people will blame Apple for it, so I think they want to minimize that.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You are not wrong, but from Apple's perspective, not only do they not want to lose control, but when security issues inevitably occurs, people will blame Apple for it, so I think they want to minimize that.
Minimise that by making App Store free of scam apps and predatory apps, as well as protecting genuine developer’s intellectual property. If App Store was good, why so many people complain about it endlessly and demand alternatives?

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Every time Apple execs go through this song & dance about how risky it is to install software outside the App Store, they’re basically saying that the sandboxing built into iOS is garbage and doesn’t work. You can’t have it both ways. That, and we all know about the huge numbers of copycat scam apps that get through Apple’s review process.

The whole argument is disingenuous, and is clearly only about one thing: the risk of Apple losing that juicy revenue stream.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
install some 3rd party app, that’s my decision to make.
That is fine. Then don't blame Apple when your iPhone or iPad goes wonky and requires a complete reinstall of the OS.

Apple has protected their ecosystem for years to minimize problems for the users. Opening up the system to apps that have not been vetted by Apple is not a good idea. Think about Windows driver problems and user software. Or better yet, look at the problems with nefarious apps in the Android world.

This decision was made by government workers, technological clods, most of whom still have their VCR flashing 12:00.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Just take a look at the Apple Community Forums to see how users get nailed by installing crapware or malware on their Macs. And they DO blame Apple for it, expecting Apple to be protecting them from it. I’m not in opposition to third party app stores on the iPhone but users will install crapware and malware on their iPhones and WILL blame Apple for it as Well. The Wild West on the iOS platform is just beginning.

I will be happy to tell iPhone users who bricked their device or got scammed to take it up with their bank, the developer, but not Apple. Too bad, so sad. And when their kid runs up their bill in some game they purchased and paid for through a third party (Fortnite), again not Apple’s problem anymore.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
No one who has an opinion on this subject is going to change their mind. I just find galling the naivete or selfishness of those who say “just don’t download third-party apps.” Now that there will be new pathways for malware to make it to Apple devices, more of said malware will be written. And I guarantee once it’s out there, it’ll find its way around the globe pretty quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.