Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Why is nobody talking about this?

Running on a 13 Pro and I'm getting noticeable battery drain compared to iOS 15.6.1. Anyone else having the same issue? Can't imagine the battery drain on older phones.

I had to recharge mid way through the day (I don't allow my phone to dip below 30% to keep battery health in tip top shape). FYI my battery health is at 99%. And yes, this is iOS 16 production (non beta)

Last edited:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I upgraded today on my pro max and this was my concern. My opinion is that it’s going down faster compared to yesterday.
also, i'm not even using it more than the usual. i went through all my battery saving settings again to make sure they're intact as well. i will be posting battery screenshots at end of the day.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Is it the new stable release or beta?
iOS 16 has just been released yesterday, I would let it settle for some days or weeks before evaluating the battery drain if it’s on the official iOS 16.
You could also try rebooting and see if it settles more after that.

Reactions: jdogg836

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
On my 11 Pro, I was noticing a lot more battery being sucked down, and checked the background apps. I could swear that several apps I had switched not to use background data are now using background data. I flipped them all back, and that improved things. I also find that battery saver mode is helping tremendously. In fact, I have to wonder if battery saver mode might be better than the previous generation?

The other issue I’m having is that Wi-Fi is very slow to connect and doesn’t seem to like my school Wi-Fi or my carrier’s free Wi-Fi hotspots, but seems to connect at home mostly OK — but slower.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Came on the forum to pose this same question. Downloaded and installed ios16 last night to my SE2…and battery consumption was absolutely atrocious today. It was draining at literally twice the amount as prior with ios15. Hope apple fixes this issue soon because this is really drastic. I’ve also noticed that webpages like to stutter and not load up the first time you visit the page. Hit the refresh on it and then it loads fully without issue

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
for me it seems to be the stupid Find My app. the same was happening on iOS 15. "Funny enough" it even happens on my iPad and I have Find My completely deactivated on that device (it does not leave the house) yet it shows Find My as the number one culprit when I hardly use the iPad

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I’ve been using iOS 16 since the 1st public beta is available. Battery drain was bad back then but has improved a lot since. I’m on an 11 Pro with a somewhat worn battery. The new iOS definitely wants to go through a few complete charge cycles for better efficiency. I’ve experienced much worse iOS upgrades.

Reactions: prefuse07

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have noticed it, but it’s been marginal, and I’m expecting it to improve after about a week of use.

bunnyechoes

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2017
Slovenia
for me it seems to be the stupid Find My app. the same was happening on iOS 15. "Funny enough" it even happens on my iPad and I have Find My completely deactivated on that device (it does not leave the house) yet it shows Find My as the number one culprit when I hardly use the iPad
Same problem with the Find My app. It was the only app running in the background and it drained about 10 % of battery overnight.

Reactions: ibookemo

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
For me it was the stupid always on weather widget on the lock screen, it was eating battery, went back to a dull normal lock screen and it stopped.
It seems that every widget is eating battery like hell. I just had the battery widget running (because iOS 16 doesn't show battery percentage when charging) and just this stupid little widget that is shown only short when you unlock your phone ate 4% of Battery in about 14 hours since last full charge.

I think i will not use these "customized" lockscreens and just use a plain wallpaper.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I guess I got lucky because I have experienced the opposite. I am getting better battery life on my iPhone and it was already pretty good. I think there are some bugs still in this build of iOS 16 that need to be worked out and that is why different people are having different results.

I hope they continue to work out the bugs and improve on this release.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
No issues noted here. I'm running an iPhone 11. It's just over two years old and the battery health is 90%.

Battery life so far seems as good as it was with iOS 15. The only widget I'm using is battery percentage on my home screen.

Last edited:

thebrightsideoflife

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Well I do not have the newest one but over night and two hours of commuting my battery is around 11%. For the moment I have to charge at least two times a day to cover my daily routinges (maps, pod casts, emails, twitter).

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Someone with iOS16 on iPhone 13 mini?
I was on 16 for a day, but found the battery worse than 15.6.1. Did DFU restore and found immediate improvement.
Anyone with 13 mini?

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
For every new release or update the first day or so battery is always worse because the system is indexing and doing all sorts of adjustment things. Give it another day or so
It’s not the case here. It seems the new screen savers spend a lot of battery. My batary drained 30 to 40 percent overnight and it says it was find my and the new screen saver. I went back to the original ss but I don’t know how to stop find my

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
iphone SE 2020 pretty lame battery life since upgrading to ios 16. Mainly youtube app use.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
No issues noted here. I'm running an iPhone 11. It's just over two years old and the battery health is 90%.

Battery life so far seems as good as it was with iOS 15. The only widget I'm using is battery percentage on my home screen.
Yeah. It seems it’s find my and the new lock screen. I went back to the old lock screen, hoping it will fix it. I don’t know about find my though. I had the globe lock screen which puts your location on it although I chose the option not to so I don’t know why is find my so active.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah. My battery was 100% at 1:40 AM and 70% by 9 am, obviously without using the phone. I checked and it says it was Find My and the Lock Screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.