Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has adjusted the trade-in values of a number of its products, including the majority of the iPad and Mac lineup, while also making some changes to iPhone.

iPhone-trade-in-16x9.jpg

Apple's trade-in program allows customers to trade-in older devices, and receive a certain amount of value for them, to use towards a purchase of a new device. The exact trade-in value a device has is measured by its condition, when it was released, and its manufacturer. Apple last notably updated its trade-in prices in December, and furthermore, it has made some more changes over the weekend.

It's important to note that the value shown on Apple's website reflects the maximum possible trade-in value for a product.

On the iPad lineup, the iPad Pro has had its value go up by $45 to $580, versus the previous $535. The standard iPad trade-in value has gone down by $15 to $235. In the Mac family, the MacBook Air is now valued at $530, down from $600. The discontinued MacBook is down by $40 to $340, and the discontinued iMac Pro is valued at $2,940, down $100. iMac value has had a reduction by $130 to $1,050, and the Mac mini down $60, to a value of $770.

With the iPhone, Apple has also made some changes. The maximum trade-in value of the iPhone 11 Pro Max is up by $15 to $515, the iPhone 11 Pro up by $5 to $465, and the iPhone 11 up by $20 to a maximum value of $380. The iPhone 6S Plus value has gone up to $65, versus $60.

Recently Apple also expanded the list of Android devices eligible for trade-in, adding the Google Pixel 4a, Pixel 5, and Samsung Galaxy Note 20. More information about Apple's trade-in options can be found on its website.

Article Link: Apple Adjusts Trade-In Value of iPad Pro, iPhone 11, and Select Mac Models

Last edited:

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I don't get why people trade in their phones just for comfort. $515 for a 11 Pro Max. lol. Sell it on Facebook marketplace or something to a local buyer. DONE.
I'll pay for convenience any day of the week. I'm too old to deal with 20 people messaging me about it and never responding, making offers $300 less than asking price, canceling meetups at the last minute, trying to scam me into accepting venmo, etc... for what, an extra $100 maybe? Forget that. Take it to Apple, hand it over to them, done.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ease of use. You may be personally OK with something like that, others however are not. In addition many people do not live in an area conducive to "local sales".
Idk why this has to be said in every one of these trade-in threads lol it’s crazy.

As you said, just like everything else in life... one size does not fit all.

If I can get a good price for my 12.9” 2018 iPad Pro then i’ll trade it in for the new generation. ??

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
MY 4 MONTH OLD IPAD PRO PURCHASED AT AED 3200 NOW BECOME ON AED 1345. WHAT IS THIS APPLE ?
Apple in general offers less than competing trade services but I think there’s a bit of blank slate trade pricing in these? If someone can correct, some upgrades and tweaks tend to not count towards the trade value if it wasn’t a selectable option, i.e, a 2TB SSD Mac might have the exact trade value as a 256GB SSD one.

I'll pay for convenience any day of the week. I'm too old to deal with 20 people messaging me about it and never responding, making offers $300 less than asking price, canceling meetups at the last minute, trying to scam me into accepting venmo, etc... for what, an extra $100 maybe? Forget that. Take it to Apple, hand it over to them, done.
Ditto. Old or young, time is a commodity. Hassling and hustling is stressful and a waste of time.
Nothing against trying to maximize the trade value in other ways and venues... but more often than not I’ll also go the more convenient route and free my schedule for more (personally) useful things. Personal opinion.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Exactly how I feel about it. I don't want the hassle of selling it myself.

Also, some carriers offer pretty good trade-in deals if you are due for an upgrade.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I thought Venmo was secure and offered you protection against scams?

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I would never use any electronic payment service when selling locally - especially for high priced items. There have been a few articles and news stories about people buying expensive things and then contacting their bank before the sale clears so the money doesn’t actually transfer. I guess with some services, it shows the money in your account but it technically hasn’t been transferred for a while. This is not well known because it would crash the use of the service. If you can’t pay cash, I’ll go onto the next guy - or gal.

I’m sure there are folks who would understand the programs well enough to avoid this ( like somehow confirm they are paying with Venmo cash inside the app instead of linked bank sources) but this all swings back to why I just trade in most of my devices. It just takes one scam or a couple cancelled meet ups to no longer be worth the extra $150.

Reactions: Razorpit

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Rocking an iPhone 11 Pro Max with 99% battery health.
I did buy it from an upgrade from 7plus in US and I see no compelling reason to upgrade yet.
I do wish Europe would have some trade in program but I do plan on to hold on until iPhone 14 or 15 comes and justifies the amount of cash to move to a newer model.

for now I bought an rtx 3080 and use it for mining to collect the funds for the upgrade :)

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
All of these payment providers protect the seller WAY less than the buyer. It happened to a friend of mine selling a MacBook. They met in person, buyer made a Venmo payment, it popped up on my friend's phone. He gave him the laptop. The next day, the money goes away. Buyer cancelled the payment through their bank and Venmo gives zero ****s. No way to find the buyer because they were using a fake name and burner phone. He's out $1500.

Reactions: IG88 and Razorpit

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Odd that some people don't understand the value of tech devices decreases with time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.