Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel has been on a relentless marketing drive against Mac computers in recent weeks, positioning them as inferior to Windows laptops powered by Intel processors. In a slight slip-up, however, Intel has accidentally used a MacBook instead of a Windows laptop in one of its newest ads to promote one of its new 11th-generation chips as "the world's best processor."

Intel-MBP-Is-Thin-and-Lighjt.jpg

The ad appeared on Reddit and was shared on Twitter by @juneforceone, and it features a man using what clearly seems to be a MacBook Pro. The ad's tagline says, "The world's best processor on a thin and light laptop," and is meant to promote the Intel Core i7-1185G7 processor.

The image Intel uses in the ad is actually a stock image offered by Getty Images, which clearly shows the laptop is indeed a MacBook Pro with an accompanying Magic Mouse.

Apple continues to sell Mac computers with Intel chips, despite its ongoing transition to its own Apple silicon. But while Apple still sells Intel-based Macs, the chip referenced in the ad is not used in any Mac, and in fact, it was launched around the same time Apple released its M1 Apple silicon chip late last year.

One of Intel's most notable marketing campaigns was launched last month and features former "I'm a Mac" actor Justin Long in a series of videos comparing a MacBook Pro powered with M1 to a variety of Windows laptops. Even as the two companies go head to head, newly appointed Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger says he hopes that his company will make Apple silicon chips in the future and have Apple as a normal client.

Article Link: Intel Ad for 'World's Best Processor' Features a MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Honestly, the person managing the ad campaign has to be penalized or fired.

Like seriously? You held a month long hostile campaign against Apple, and you managed to let this slip by using the VERY BRAND that you're advertising against?

No wonder Intel is failing to catch up with time?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I don't like the snide remarks people are making about Intel since the switch to Apple silicon began. Remember, Macintosh was using Intel for 15 years and it actually breathe new life into the platform. Considering how much PowerPC was a dead end, especially from Motorola on the mobile side, it was very a much crisis if Apple didn't have Intel. I'm sure ARM processors from 2005 to 2015 weren't powerful enough run macOS (OS X).

Keep in mind also, Apple continues to sell a vast majority of their Macintosh portfolio on Intel. We need to respect Intel while saying goodbye at the same time. Some of the comments I've read kinda give the impression of this is how you would treat people in real life too. If a friend helped you out for 15 years and helped you get your work done then of course is starting to decline because another friend can do so same things a little bit better, doesn't mean you need to be nasty.

Even Jobs has talked about this kinda nasty 'us vs them' behavior in past in keynotes (Macworld '97). You wanted Microsoft Office, yet you are booing the CEO of the company who makes it.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Finally speaking the truth that the MacBook Pro has a better processor than them.

Reactions: Feyl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.