Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Longtime Apple supplier TSMC is set to begin mass shipments of Apple's upcoming A15 chip for the iPhone 13 ahead of schedule at the end of May, according to a snippet of a full report set to be published tomorrow by DigiTimes.

iPhone-13-Notch-Feature.jpg

The new chip will be based on an enhanced version of the 5nm process, which first debuted in the A14 Bionic with the 2020 iPad Air and iPhone 12 lineup. While the full report will likely offer more details as to the specifics of the new chip that will power the next-generation iPhones, it can be reasonably assumed that it will improve on performance and power efficiency.

Due to impacts to suppliers as a result of the global health crisis, Apple launched the iPhone 12 series in October, out of the normal September timeframe. With impacts to supply chains now easing, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that Apple is on track to release the iPhone 13 in September. With TSMC now believed to be starting mass shipments of the new chip ahead of schedule, that certainly does seem to be the case.

Improved performance and power efficiency in the A15 will be one of the multiple rumored features coming to the 2021 iPhones. Information so far suggests that Apple will relocate the earpiece to the top bezel for the upcoming iPhones, resulting in a smaller notch.

Internally, Apple is expected to include a ProMotion 120Hz and always-on-display for at least some iPhone 13 models. Additional features include a rumored new matte black option, improved fingerprint resistance for the stainless steel edges, and possibly an in-screen fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Mass Production of A15 Chip for iPhone 13 Set to Begin Ahead of Schedule in Late May

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JohnH108

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
Liverpool UK

Longtime Apple supplier TSMC is set to begin mass shipments of Apple's upcoming A15 chip for the iPhone 13 ahead of schedule at the end of May, according to a snippet of a full report set to be published tomorrow by DigiTimes.

iPhone-13-Notch-Feature.jpg

The new chip will be based on an enhanced version of the 5nm process, which first debuted in the A14 Bionic with the 2020 iPad Air and iPhone 12 lineup. While the full report will likely offer more details as to the specifics of the new chip that will power the next-generation iPhones, it can be reasonably assumed that it will improve on performance and power efficiency.

Due to impacts to suppliers as a result of the global health crisis, Apple launched the iPhone 12 series in October, out of the normal September timeframe. With impacts to supply chains now easing, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that Apple is on track to release the iPhone 13 in September. With TSMC now believed to be starting mass shipments of the new chip ahead of schedule, that certainly does seem to be the case.

Improved performance and power efficiency in the A15 will be one of the multiple rumored features coming to the 2021 iPhones. Information so far suggests that Apple will relocate the earpiece to the top bezel for the upcoming iPhones, resulting in a smaller notch.

Internally, Apple is expected to include a ProMotion 120Hz and always-on-display for at least some iPhone 13 models. Additional features include a rumored new matte black option, improved fingerprint resistance for the stainless steel edges, and possibly an in-screen fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Mass Production of A15 Chip for iPhone 13 Set to Begin Ahead of Schedule in Late May
One higher than the last one. Great stuff.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I wonder if the 'M1X' will be based on the A15 chip then...
Then it would be the M2x, most likely.

I do wonder if there's a chance they won't update all Macbook Pros and iMacs to the M1x, but instead wait for the M2. Don't yet have a clear idea how they're going to sequence the M-series vs. the A-series chips; it'll probably be a year or two at least before we see how they're going to handle it.

I just want an Apple Silicon iMac, like yesterday. M1x or M2 or whatever, just gimme.

Reactions: SBeardsl

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I wonder if the 'M1X' will be based on the A15 chip then...

That would be an "M2X" :p

But I think it is somewhat plausible that Apple scrapped the M1X a few months ago when TSMC told them that their "enhanced 5mm" will be early and simple delayed all Macs till they can be shipped with A15 based (M2x/z/nada) SoCs.

Which would allow them to make a splash against Intel/AMD just as big as the M1 did on the lowend instead of "just" being M1-performance with more cores.

Reactions: subi257

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The entire micro-electronics industry is in disarray and Apple is managing to get it's suppliers to produce it's chips ahead of schedule? Good job Apple.
there is no ahead of schedule here, it takes ~ 3 months to make them so naturally they have to start now to build the first phones.
And Apple pays big bucks to be front of line, and the chip shortage today is not so much in the very advanced nodes but in the more mature ones ...

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
The only thing that would get me to upgrade from my 12 pro max is the 120hz and always on display. That piques my interest. The chips are already so fast. Finger print sensor would be cool too but only if Face ID is still on there as well.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
The only thing that would get me to upgrade from my 12 pro max is the 120hz and always on display. That piques my interest. The chips are already so fast. Finger print sensor would be cool too but only if Face ID is still on there as well.
I used to do upgrades every year, but have slipped to every two years. I am looking forward to the 13...and I hope it is called "13". I like the shape of the flat sides like they used to be and I HOPE that it will have both FaceID and under screen TouchID

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
there is no ahead of schedule here, it takes ~ 3 months to make them so naturally they have to start now to build the first phones.

It might just been a few weeks of jumping ahead, but those few weeks give millions in extra capacity which could either be used to slightly increase launch stock or to upgrade products that were scheduled to get last years IP.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Every iPhone since the very first one has had a significant SOC upgrade over its predecessor. While the A15 may stay at 5nm like the A14, it's hard to believe that it won't be significantly better than its predecessor (if history is any guide)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.