The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20190212011429/http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=899898
  Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Why is Madman releasing Funimation/US branded titles?

Why is Madman releasing Funimation/US branded titles?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Why is Madman releasing Funimation/US branded titles? Reply with quote
So, before I start even though Sabmabab posted a similar topic I'd like to get my own perspective on things. No offence toward anybody. I just want things further explained to me if anybody would be willing to do so.

I don't use these forums often but... I'd like to know if the Anime industry in terms of buying physical media is healthy right now in Australia.

I've noticed Madman has been releasing a lot of Funimation branded titles lately and wondered if that was because they can't really afford to put their name on packaging, own designs, etc. Especially on bigger titles too.

It just got me thinking because they'll be releasing Re:Zero as the Funimation copy. I guess a lot of companies in Australia were probably trying really hard to get their hands on that show though.

Cheers. Smile
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Madman releasing Funimation/US branded titles? Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:

I've noticed Madman has been releasing a lot of Funimation branded titles lately and wondered if that was because they can't really afford to put their name on packaging, own designs, etc. Especially on bigger titles too.

Note: Sorry for the long (and messy) response, I'm not associated with any of these companies.

I don't believe this is a case of not being able to afford packaging and designs at all. I mean for one, packaging is a lot cheaper than pressing discs in the first place (Madman has just about always repackaged FUNimation discs where compatible, Blu-ray authoring and pressing is not cheap). Sly has also recently said that the FUNi branded titles will feature slipcovers as replaced by Madman (presumably redesigned to feature the rating, for what it's worth RE: your packaging and design costs theory for the sake of putting that discussion to the side).

There have been a lot of distribution and partnership deals opening and closing on FUNimation's end as of late and it's not unusual that they get AUS and UK rights for their shows (Madman has sub-licensed from them in the past), the UK has also had a similar deal open up maybe a year or two ago where Anime Limited has been putting out FUNimation titles on behalf of them in their local market just like Madman is starting to do. This is more about FUNimation partnering internationally to distribute titles they have the rights for.

FUNimation has been taking more steps as of late to expand their reach beyond the US market, most notably their digital service and partnerships such as this. (at least from my understanding- if any of this is totally wrong feel free to call me out for being a presumptuous idiot, Sly). I'm sure from a business and licencing perspective this might make things much easier and streamlined for at least some of the involved parties. It's worth noting that FUNimation was bought out by Sony recently, whose have been more than a bit erratic with their approach to the international market, especially in Australia (absolutely no clue if that weighs in at all for the record or if the US and AUS branches answer to the same "powers that be", but Sony released titles are coming up through Madman all of the sudden- such as Black Clover, and Arslan in the past so I'm not bringing it up for no reason).

Personally it's not the most amazing thing to me because as a fan I think FUNimation is kind of a totally unreliable dirt company but my money isn't where my mouth is because at the end of the day it's just cartoons Wink, and there are titles I want that I didn't expect to otherwise get without this partnership so I'm just playing it by ear.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Madman releasing Funimation/US branded titles? Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:

I see. That seems fair enough. I guess as long as we are getting titles at the end of the day. Might even save them costs so we get more of it and on Blu-ray too.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is pure speculation and my opinion, but I think:

When Funimation was purchased by Sony, one of the goals was to have Funimation have a greater reach internationally (I can't remember the exact words, but the press release says something similar). As such, they wanted to expand the Funimation brand, and therefore want to sell anime under the Funimation branding, and not sublicense it at all.

I'm pretty why they partnered with Madman for distribution is because Madman has experience, knowledge, and the marketing power to get the anime titles out. (many Australians know that Madman is Australian, but people still think that Funi is just US only and not worldwide).

Like when they released some of their titles through USPHE, nobody knew about the HeroAca or YoI or Smartphone or Black Clover releases until it essentially came out because they poured zero marketing in Australia for these titles. But with Madman distribution, they already promoted Kabaneri and MP100 way in advanced, so using this marketing powerhouse sells Funimation very well through a familiar face.

TL;DR: Sony wants to push Funimation as a worldwide brand, and is using Madman to do so.

Again, this is basically my opinion.

Sylontack wrote:
but Sony released titles are coming up through Madman all of the sudden- such as Black Clover, and Arslan

Didn't wanna be nitpicky on minor details, but Arslan was released by Universal Sony through NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan and not through Funimation. So Arslan is completely unrelated, thougn My Hero Academia could be a better example since Madman released the film theatrically in collaboration with Funimation Films.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
Didn't wanna be nitpicky on minor details, but Arslan was released by Universal Sony through NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan and not through Funimation. So Arslan is completely unrelated, thougn My Hero Academia could be a better example since Madman released the film theatrically in collaboration with Funimation Films.

Sorry, yes. I was referring to Sony releases in general, not Sony releases through FUNimation in that quote. Was specifically talking about USPHE's past ventures into the anime market in Aus.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In short, we have a new distribution agreement with Funimation which means that we are their local distributors NOT licensee, but distributor for their products. This is a big distinction and difference as we are merely selling their products with localising kept to a minimum. It's not a matter of "being lazy" but a matter of what we and they have worked out as best. Depending on the product, the final product will be presented differently. Where possible we hope to just stick the product with a classification sticker.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
In short, we have a new distribution agreement with Funimation which means that we are their local distributors NOT licensee, but distributor for their products. This is a big distinction and difference as we are merely selling their products with localising kept to a minimum. It's not a matter of "being lazy" but a matter of what we and they have worked out as best. Depending on the product, the final product will be presented differently. Where possible we hope to just stick the product with a classification sticker.

Also I hear that Re:zero will be released with better masters seeing as the initial release wasn't good enough?

Thanks.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We will be releasing it with a new master that is correct.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Thanks buddy. I'll be sure to pick it up.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Also, just another quick question. What masters do you usually use for most of the Blu-ray releases? US or UK?
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
[..]

Also, just another quick question. What masters do you usually use for most of the Blu-ray releases? US or UK?

Wouldn't they be Funimation's masters? They're just selling Funimation titles, and Funimation does all their own masters.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to know, will some Funimation titles (like Attack on Titan Season 3 (and subsequent seasons) and Fairy Tail final season), be distributed by the original way where it's a Madman release with a MMA---- SKU, or will these titles also be done through the new distribution deal, even though you guys have streaming rights to them?
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
[..]

Wouldn't they be Funimation's masters? They're just selling Funimation titles, and Funimation does all their own masters.

I'm pretty sure they mainly use a lot of the UK masters. (This is for the Madman branded titles at least.)

They did for the Gurren Lagann Blu-ray release anyway.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
I want to know, will some Funimation titles (like Attack on Titan Season 3 (and subsequent seasons) and Fairy Tail final season), be distributed by the original way where it's a Madman release with a MMA---- SKU, or will these titles also be done through the new distribution deal, even though you guys have streaming rights to them?

I reckon they will stay consistent and distribute them the original way. Especially because I'm pretty sure Attack on Titan & Fairy Tail both sell well.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the most part we are importing finished Funimation stock from the USA and just rebadging them with local classification, might be an O-ring or a sticker, will depend on the product.

Everything is on a title by title basis. If we licensed it then it will have Madman cat numbers etc. if it is a funimation distributed title it will have the same funimation product codes.

There's no real benefit to us over repackaging anything for local consumption, at the end of the day, you'll still be getting the product you've paid for. No tricks or whatever.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How are Funimation's digital copies going to be handled? Since you can't access American-sourced codes from Australia without help, what will happen? Would a certain batch of codes be earmarked for Australia-only?
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
How are Funimation's digital copies going to be handled? Since you can't access American-sourced codes from Australia without help, what will happen? Would a certain batch of codes be earmarked for Australia-only?
Interesting. I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Would be bad if they didn't include the digital codes even though it's stated on the cover.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Somebody asked that before on Twitter, and they will come with Funimation Digital Copy codes. But that still doesn't answer the original question of how it'll work.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd hope the Funimation account changes to all covered territories, so you only have one account, and not worry about VPNs to access.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: