Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on late Friday evening added a "while supplies last" notice to its iMac Pro product page worldwide, and removed all upgrade options for the computer, leaving only the standard configuration available to order for now.

imac-pro-featured-black.jpg

We've since confirmed with Apple that when supplies run out, the iMac Pro will no longer be available whatsoever. Apple says the latest 27-inch iMac introduced in August is the preferred choice for the vast majority of pro iMac users, and said customers who need even more performance and expandability can choose the Mac Pro.

The latest 27-inch iMac features a 5K display with True Tone and a nano-texture glass option, up to a 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, up to 128GB of RAM, up to 8TB of storage, up to AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT graphics, a 10 Gigabit Ethernet option, a higher-resolution 1080p camera, improved speakers and microphones, and more.

While the Intel-based 27-inch iMac is Apple's recommendation right now, rumors suggest that a redesigned iMac with a next-generation Apple silicon chip and a design inspired by Apple's high-end Pro Display XDR will be released later this year, so many customers may want to exercise patience. It's unclear if an Apple silicon version of the iMac Pro will ever be released, but it appears unlikely at this point.

Released in December 2017, the iMac Pro received no substantial hardware refreshes over its lifetime.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iMac Pro Will Be Discontinued When Supplies Run Out, Recommends 27-Inch iMac

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Yeah. The iMac Pro still had all the same problems at Intel processors have.
You can throw 28 cores at the thing with 256 GB of RAM, but it’s not gonna solve the problem that the processors suck.
when a $1000 MacBook Air with only four performance cores can feel more smooth and Optimized than a $5000 iMac Pro, it’s time to discontinue that sucker

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Looking forward to that M iMac which likely blows the iMac Pro away
You caught that, nice. The M1X Pro Edition edition will be leagues above the old iMac Pro. Srsly, though, I make fun of the name, but the Apple silicon performance of the Pro will be straight ?. I predict something to the order of being able to render 32 32K videos in real time with unlimited layers, with a Pro Display built in. Like, Weta Digital and ILM will srsly consider ditching their server render racks for iMac Pros.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I would have thought they'd retool it with a souped-up M2 processor. But maybe it just didn't sell that well.
They might still reintroduce that option in the future, when M2 chips are ready. But in the short term, the difference in performance between the upcoming M1 iMac and an Intel iMac Pro does not justify the price difference.

Reactions: RCPhotos

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
If you want old hardware, Surface Studio 2 is still being sold with a mobile Kaby Lake CPU. I just don't think there's much of a market for a pro-grade AIO. I'm guessing the iMac Pro probably only sold well around launch, when the most CPU you could get in an iMac was a lowly quad core, thanks to Intel.

I wonder how long the new Mac Pro is going to live on as well. Right now, Apple Silicon doesn't exactly support any sort of hardware upgrades (like TB GPUs), so putting an Apple chip in that big of a box seems like a waste of materials, unless Apple plans to make its own line of add-in cards or starts supporting hardware that normally is designed for x86.

Uaaerospace2

macrumors member
May 17, 2017
It [iMac Pro] doesn’t offer the expandability of a true Pro machine and doesn’t really need to exist anymore.
I’m not sure why the idea that a machine needs to be upgradable to be “pro” is still out there. IMHO, that’s 1990s thinking. I worked in a video house for nearly 15 years and none of our machines were upgraded internally after purchase. We added all sorts of connectivity (fiber to MAM and such) via thunderbolt, but the internals were comfortably speced when ordered. The cost savings we had in the iMac Pro were ridiculous over a Mac Pro.

That all said, the iMac Pro either needs to be updated or cancelled. It was an excellent machine when released, but it’s too outdated to purchase now.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Although I was expecting this and been saying this for months its sad to see that Apple spend all this R&D on a 1 stop product. Why they haven't implemented for the iMac is beyond me and I really hope the only reason that truly stopped them was the ram door. One of the worst possible thing about iMac was the cooling and they don't even bother to change that and in August they gave us another "crap" machine that is loud under load. IF there is no amazing redesign this year for the AS iMac then I don't know what their designers are doing there. Maybe still designing the bloody Airtags and Airpower. :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.