Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continued to have a dominant hold on the wearables market in the fourth quarter of 2020, according to new shipment estimates shared today by IDC. Apple shipped 55.6 million wearable devices during the quarter for 36.2 percent market share.

applewatchseroundup.jpg

That's the same market share Apple held in the fourth quarter of 2019, but overall device shipments were up from 43.7 million in Q4 2019. Apple's competitors don't even come close. Xiaomi shipped an estimated 13.5 million wearable devices for 8.8 percent market share, followed by Samsung at 13 million devices and Huawei at 10.2 million devices.

wearable-devices-idc-q4-2020.jpg

Apple Watch shipments rose an estimated 45.6 percent thanks to the different pricing intervals of the Apple Watch Series 6, SE, and Series 3, and "hearables" shipments of AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max surged during the quarter.

Across all of 2020, IDC believes Apple shipped 151.4 million wearable devices for 34.1 percent market share. Xiaomi was the number two wearable device manufacturer in 2020 with 50.7 million devices shipped, followed by Huawei and Samsung with 43.5 million and 40 million devices shipped, respectively.

wearable-devices-idc-2020.png

Apple does not provide specific breakdowns of the number of Apple Watch and AirPods models shipped, so IDC's data is based on estimates. During a January earnings call, Apple said that wearables set a new revenue record in fiscal Q1 2021, which corresponds to the fourth calendar quarter of 2020. Apple's wearables business is the size of a Fortune 120 company.

Article Link: Apple Continued to Dominate Wearables Market Across 2020

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Keep in mind, Samsung heard rumors of the Apple Watch back in 2012 and created 5 smartwatches in a span of 2 years before Apple released their first one.

Then, Samsung took the circular screen from the Moto 360 and took the rotating input mechanism from the Apple Watch to make their new smartwatches. They can't come up with good ideas on their own. They never will.

This goes to show you Samsung has no clue what they're doing. Apply the same logic to folding phones, smart tags, wireless earbuds, etc...being first doesn't mean it's going to be good and today's market proves it.

Last edited:

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Keep in mind, Samsung heard rumors of the Apple Watch back in 2012 and created 5 smartwatches in a span of 2 years before Apple released their first one.

Then, Samsung took the circular screen from the Moto 360 and took the rotating input mechanism from the Apple Watch to make their new smartwatches. They can't come up with good ideas on their own. They never will.

This goes to show you Samsung has no clue what they're doing. Apply the same logic to folding phones, smart tags, wireless earbuds, etc...being first doesn't mean it's going to be good and today's market proves it.
Do you feel good in your world of hate?

Samsung just has a different approach. And is very successful by the way

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
They're only successful by copying ideas. That's their different approach. Sure.
You should work for Samsung. Then you can tell them all the things they are doing wrong and how to fix it. Instead of making comments about how they are doing it wrong, be a part of the solution. But I get it. It’s much easier to complain and call people names then it is to actually do something.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012

Even by Apple fanboys standards, this is fantasy! The "rotating input mechanism" err otherwise known as the crown has been the method used by watches for 500 years. The wrist wrapping mechanism was also not invented by Apple..or though the fantastical pricing of said item made in "special" silicon was.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You should work for Samsung. Then you can tell them all the things they are doing wrong and how to fix it. Instead of making comments about how they are doing it wrong, be a part of the solution. But I get it. It’s much easier to complain and call people names then it is to actually do something.
According to the data (and whether the data is accurate and what is the margin of error is another conversation), apple is killing it in the wearables market.

Sure there are plenty of negative and anti-apple comments comments sprinkled though out the posts, but I never recall anybody saying about apple criticisms' "if you're not part of the solution you're not part of the problem", or "you should work for Apple", which in the post above comes off as an ad-hom attack.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
What a stupid idea.

That's like saying "if you don't like butterfly switch keys or touchbar in MacBooks, go work at Apple and change it yourself".

Really?

Last edited:

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
Their net worth appears to be $300 billion. They seem to be doing something right or they would have no customers. Can't explain that on this site though.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
The "rotating input mechanism" err otherise known as the crown has been the method used by watches for 500 years.
Yet, Samsung didn't use it in their first 5 attempts at a smartwatch until *after* Apple Watch used it.

Did I say Apple invented the crown? Nope. You completely failed to understand what I'm saying. Either that or you're intentionally mischaracterizing what I'm trying to say because you don't really have much facts to base your accusations on.

Talk about fanboyism. ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I wish there was better battery life on the Apple Watch, and the limited times a day a complication can be updated are extremely frustrating.. I want 288 updates in a 24 hour timeframe (I wear a continuous glucose meter that spits out a reading every five minutes). The only way to achieve that is to hijack the iCloud Calendar to publish data to the watch face, as Apple complications don't follow the same rules...

But its such a good device for me. Exercise tracking, music handling, siri access, glance for important face complications, and those what I consider most important of all, notifications if glucose is out of range are life improvers.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Yet, Samsung didn't use it in their first 5 attempts at a smartwatch until *after* Apple Watch used it.

Did I say Apple invented the crown? Nope. You completely failed to understand what I'm saying. Either that or you're intentionally mischaracterizing what I'm trying to say because you don't really have much facts to base your accusations on.

Talk about fanboyism. ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️
Oh...I fully understood what you were saying; I just don’t agree with you.

Last edited:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
You call 36.2% market share “Dominate”? What a joke!

You know what is true “Dominate”? Microsoft’s Windows system takes >95% of PC market, Google’s Android takes >85% of SmartPhone market, Google’s search engine takes >80% of search engine market, Google ads takes >80% of advertisement market, these, are true “Dominate”.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I personally don't really want a smart watch from anyone.
But it's clear how much ahead the Apple watch is, at least in the area they have decided to focus upon.
However, all that said, I do feel it's a great shame that Google (or others) are unable so far, due to software and hardware to create a genuinely competing product.

Reactions: macfacts and jinnj

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Oh...I fully understood what you were saying; I just don’t agree with you.
Then it must be the reason: "you're intentionally mischaracterizing what I'm trying to say".

Stating what wasn't invented by Apple doesn't really support your "apple fanboy fantasy" accusation as I never said Apple invented these things.

Reactions: Captain Trips

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
I partially attribute this to the same reason iPads did better than Android tablets. Apple has a more neatly put together ecosystem, so if you want many gadgets that work well with each other, they've got the advantage. The Samsung and whatever watches are all trash in comparison, probably only selling at all because people have Android phones.

Worldwide, it's also likely that people using Android phones only to save money aren't buying watches and tablets to begin with. Goes to show how useful those devices really are.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
You call 36.3% “Dominate”? What a joke!

You know what is true “Dominate”? Microsoft’s Windows system takes >95% of PC market, Google’s Android takes >85% of SmartPhone market, Google’s search engine takes >80% of search engine market, Google ads takes >80% of advertisement market, these, are true “Dominate”.
Yeah, or usually I think of dominate as meaning the majority (>50%) rather than plurality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.