Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of macOS Big Sur last week, a number of 2013 and 2014 MacBook Pro owners found that the update bricked their machines. Affected users saw their Macs get stuck displaying a black screen after attempting to install the new software.

macbookpro13large.jpg

Apple has now addressed this issue in a new support document that provides instructions on what to do if macOS Big Sur can't be installed on a 2013 or 2014 MacBook Pro machine. Apple suggests Mac owners experiencing these issues unplug external devices, attempt restarting, reset the SMC, and reset NVRAM or PRAM. From the support document:
  1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for at least 10 seconds, then release. If your Mac is on, it turns off.
  2. Unplug all external devices from your Mac, including any displays and USB accessories, and remove any card inserted in the SDXC card slot. Then turn your Mac on.
  3. If the issue persists, reset the SMC as described for notebook computers with a nonremovable battery.
  4. If the issue persists, reset NVRAM or PRAM.
Apple says if these solutions do not work, affected customers should contact Apple Support for further help with the problem. The document also says that Apple plans to update the article as more information becomes available.

To be safe, those with older MacBook Pro models from 2013 or 2014 should avoid installing the macOS Big Sur update at this time until a more definitive fix becomes available. Apple today released a new version of macOS Big Sur 11.0.1, but it is not clear if this addresses the problems that are being seen with older MacBook Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Offers Instructions on What to Do if macOS Big Sur Causes Installation Errors on 2013 and 2014 MacBook Pro

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
As more information becomes available? They are the information. Not the channel 5 news.

This sounds like general advice from tier 1 tech support for every issue ever. They couldn't have asked one of their software engineers what's going on?
Perhaps their software engineering team doesn’t know what’s going on quite yet. They might need to receive some of the “bricked” machines to diagnose and determine what exactly went wrong.

Last edited:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Perhaps their software engineering team doesn’t know what’s going on quite yet. They might need to receive some of the “bricked” machines to diagnose and determine what exactly went wrong.
I suppose, but it's just all around not great software design when Big Sur had been announced all the way back in June and was available to developers then, which meant it must have been available internally for quite some time before that. It's not as if Apple wouldn't have old machines to test on themselves, as well.

Breahn

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
Apple should just rename Big Sur to Big Sour Apple OS. Pro tip: Years ago my tech friend (he's VERY tech savvy) told me to ALWAYS stay at least 3 (or at the very least 2) major software versions behind, regardless if it's operating systems, or simpler applications like Adobe Photoshop. And after 3 years, if the software is still not fixed, wait for the next major version. Still running macOS High Sierra 10.13 on my 2014 MacBook Pro. It's running fast and flawless, thanks to my tech friend's pro advice, which I will always keep following. This has in many ways saved me so much money and time.

Last edited:

JohnnyApple$eed

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
I think I'll gamble with the update in hopes it does brick my 2014 MBP 15". Apple has been good to me in the past and gifted me this $3,300 machine last time my MacBook Pro lemoned out. Here's to hoping for a complimentary M1 MBP replacement machine! :)

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
I’ve noticed that Apple more and more pretends they aren’t directly involved in the creation and support of their own products. Often, when I talk to tech. support, they’ll refer to a nebulous “they” or talk about “Apple” doing things, as if they aren’t Apple. This must be some new PR/HR strategy to deflect accountability.

alee_82

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I suppose, but it's just all around not great software design when Big Sur had been announced all the way back in June and was available to developers then, which meant it must have been available internally for quite some time before that. It's not as if Apple wouldn't have old machines to test on themselves, as well.

As a developer its hard enough supporting phones which are more than 3 years old (especially on the Android side of things). Those 2013 and 2014 macs are 6 years old. The fact that they can even run Big Sur is good enough since it is a MAJOR OS update.

Windows 7 wouldn't run properly on XP devices either when that change came around, its just old hardware imo

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2020
All the engineers are using the latest MacBook Pros and M1 machines. No one is using 2003 MacBooks.

Reactions: JosephAW

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
All the engineers are using the latest MacBook Pros and M1 machines. No one is using 2003 MacBooks.
no one also using ipad mini 2019 to access usb via camera kit.. they all used ipad pro instead.
** small type there year.

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2020
Apple should just rename Big Sur to Big Sour Apple OS. Pro tip: Years ago my tech friend (he's VERY tech savvy) told me to ALWAYS stay at least 3 (or at the very least 2) major software versions behind, regardless if it's operating systems, or simpler applications like Adobe Photoshop. And after 3 years, if the software is still not fixed, wait for the next major version. Still running macOS High Sierra 10.13 on my 2014 MacBook Pro. It's running fast and and flawless, thanks to my tech friend's pro advice, which I will always keep following. This has in many ways saved me so much money and time.
I would say that Catalina on a 2014 MBP runs fast and well too. I certainly would not run Big Sour.

Reactions: JosephAW and Breahn

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2020
As a developer its hard enough supporting phones which are more than 3 years old (especially on the Android side of things). Those 2013 and 2014 macs are 6 years old. The fact that they can even run Big Sur is good enough since it is a MAJOR OS update.

Windows 7 wouldn't run properly on XP devices either when that change came around, its just old hardware imo
Yes but a 2013 Mac is designed by Apple and we all know that they own both the hardware and software and this results in magic.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
5. If the issue still persists, trade your machine in for a new one. (And we hope you've been backing up your data!)

• Haha
Reactions: Lazy

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
5. If the issue still persists, trade your machine in for a new one. (And we hope you've been backing up your data!)
i'm using external drive accesing imac so i restored to new laptop huawei d15 ryzen using paragon apfs and take all those new files ..

** thank god i'm using mariadb so easily i can restore using my old macbook 2011 laptop and backup back to huawei d15 ryzen.

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2014
I’m definitely an Apple fan (mostly), but this is a resounding “Nope!” from me with spyware & phone-home built in at such a deep level. Absolutely. Hell. No.

Breahn

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
I would say that Catalina on a 2014 MBP runs fast and well too. I certainly would not run Big Sour.
Thank you for your advice, but I will always follow the "3-major-software-versions-behind" lifestyle. It's solid and worryfree, and has not failed me once. Money saved. Time saved. No stress. No more software problems. Big Sour is a huge mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: foliovision

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Things happen despite best intent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.