Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Like it did on Thanksgiving, Apple today has begun notifying Apple Watch owners of a soon-to-launch Activity challenge, hoping to encourage users to get moving and work out in the new year. To earn the achievement, Apple Watch owners will have to close all three Activity rings each day for an entire week in January.

ring-in-the-new-year-challenge.jpg
Image via MacRumors forum member friednoodles

The challenge should become visible for all Apple Watch wearers within the Activity app at midnight local time on December 28. Similar to the Thanksgiving Achievement, if users complete the new challenge they'll gain access to "special stickers" in iMessages.

Article Link: Apple Watch Owners Notified of Upcoming 'Ring In the New Year' Activity Achievement

Reactions: jjm3

caipirina08

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
The Turkey day badge was NOT US only (I got it) ... just got the ring-in announcement as well, (my iTunes account is EU, my location not US) ...

I had a chat with an apple genius yesterday about badges, somehow my activity database seems to be out of whack and I seem to be getting my move streak badges too late, but I still get them (on day 439 now, kinda very OCD about it, but that's the watch's fault :) ) ... his best reply 'no one really cares about those badges anymore' ... hmm . great genius ... he also did NOT know how Pokemon Go could possibly relate to activity app. 4 days after the watch app for PoGO went online ...

Having said that, I still totally love my Apple Watch, so much in fact that I bought a second one. The first one's battery can barely track a 20K run before dying ... I also asked about the battery replacement program, but they were similarly oblivious about that (ok, there was also still very heavy holiday traffic in the store)

Last edited:

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I could truly get behind these achievements if I didn't lose them every time I upgrade phones. I truly hate constantly losing my achievements every year. As much as I hate always having to sign up an account for the most random apps and whatnot anymore, this is one that I would have loved to have had an account for since the beginning to be able to back up my achievements.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I could truly get behind these achievements if I didn't lose them every time I upgrade phones. I truly hate constantly losing my achievements every year. As much as I hate always having to sign up an account for the most random apps and whatnot anymore, this is one that I would have loved to have had an account for since the beginning to be able to back up my achievements.

Are you backing up your phone and health data? I've never lost anything changing phones.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

You don't lose achievements, they are backed up in iCloud, so you only "lose them" if you want to.

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016

You may need to enable encryption on your iTunes backup and back up to a Mac. This will back up health data (and passwords), for you to restore to your new phone. Not sure if health is backed up with iCloud or not.

edit: It seems it should be backed up with iCloud. You may benefit from this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205632

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
You don't lose anything if you use either iCloud or encrypted iTunes backups.

Reactions: Watabou and jjm3

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The thanksgiving one was strange. I'm not in the US, but it showed up recently, marked as an achievement I received on November 21 (several days before Thanksgiving).

Reactions: orbital~debris

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I ran 8 miles on Thanksgiving and never got my achievement. Apple Support said, "Hmmm... it didn't work for everyone. Sorry!" I hope the bugs have been fixed for the New Year's achievement; telling people ahead of time to expect something then getting nothing is not motivating.

Reactions: twocents

rextilleon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008

Like it did on Thanksgiving, Apple today has begun notifying Apple Watch owners of a soon-to-launch Activity challenge, hoping to encourage users to get moving and work out in the new year. To earn the achievement, Apple Watch owners will have to close all three Activity rings each day for an entire week in January.

ring-in-the-new-year-challenge.jpg

Image via MacRumors forum member friednoodles

The challenge should become visible for all Apple Watch wearers within the Activity app at midnight local time on December 28. Similar to the Thanksgiving Achievement, if users complete the new challenge they'll gain access to "special stickers" in iMessages.

Article Link: Apple Watch Owners Notified of Upcoming 'Ring In the New Year' Activity Achievement

Wow this is fantastic news--so important!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.