Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is designing a new display that will be used for smart home management purposes, reports Bloomberg. The device will be a sort of low-end iPad that can be used for controlling HomeKit devices, streaming video, FaceTime calls, and more.

iPad-iOS-16-WP-Display-Feature-eric-edit.jpeg

It is designed to be mounted to walls or other objects using magnetic fasteners, so it will be more integrated into the home than an iPad. Such a product would compete with devices like the Meta Portal or the Echo Show from Amazon.

Past rumors from Bloomberg have described this device as something akin to the HomePod and the Apple TV, meant for home use rather than use while on the go. Apple is also considering larger smart home display options, and a product that combines an Apple TV set-top box, smart speaker, and FaceTime camera is in development, but the project has suffered setbacks.

As of right now, Apple is targeting a 2024 launch for iPad-like smart home display.

Article Link: Apple Working on iPad-Like Display for Controlling Smart Homes, FaceTime Chats and More

Last edited:

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
The problem with using an iPad for a 'family' device is that it's tied to one user. Unless you lock it down, anyone can access your message, emails, etc. It would be nice if they had an iPad-like device that is multi-user. I guess I had always hoped they would update iPadOS to enable multiple users. They went another way and created a whole new piece of hardware instead.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
This will be cool and useful if the price is right — hoping they don’t price it for people with “luxurious” smart homes, or at least offer one for each lol

Also assuming there’s going to be a dedicated OS or app, I hope Apple allows regular iPads to be used in the same way — and that it’s not just a dedicated “iPadOS Home app” screen.

I go through a lot of iPads and some days it just sits there, others I have it with me at all times. Would be nice to be able to use it as a mounted control when I’m not using it. Again, could do it with the Home app but it sucks…

Reactions: macvicta

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I’d buy one.

I’ve been eyeing the 15” show but I can’t bring my self to welcome Alexa back into my home (plus I read it’s pretty half baked). This HomePad thing would be a great addition to my kitchen.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Again chasing devices like Google and Alexa, we all know how that went. 😂😂😂 It will be nixed in the first year due to lackluster sales.

Reactions: dba415

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Great.
Apple's planning on showcasing a stand on a Turkish market?
I am not saying they are doomed, if there's a market they can change/drive - they should!

Cleaning cloths and wall mounted things...
Good they better, expensive for sure they are - Master Yoda's ghost :p

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a first-gen iPad mini which I bought with a plastic rear case. I've nailed the case to the wall and clipped the iPad back in it.

Apart from the fact it's stuck on iOS 9, it's a cool thing to have. Usually it runs some old flip-clock app I found, but it also runs the Denon software (for my AVR) and the Logitech Harmony software (for my remote).

It's a gimmick, sure, but there's not much other use for a 10 year old iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.