Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the App Store and app ecosystem undergoing major changes in the European Union, The Wall Street Journal today shared a profile on App Store chief Phil Schiller, who is responsible for the App Store.

applephilschiller.jpg

Though Schiller transitioned from marketing chief to "Apple Fellow" in 2020 to take a step back from Apple and spend more time on personal projects and friends, he is reportedly working close to 80 hours a week.

Schiller is known for responding to emails almost immediately, and answering phone calls at all hours. He testified during the Epic v. Apple lawsuit to ardently defend the App Store, and he is involved in Apple's EU messaging as well. Schiller joined in on Apple PR calls with members of the media when the iOS 17.4 changes were announced, and he spent time explaining how the DMA will impact user privacy and security in Europe.

When Apple terminated the Epic Games developer account in March to prevent it from creating an alternate app marketplace, it was Schiller who sent an email to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney to suggest that the account had been shut down because of Epic's criticism of Apple's DMA compliance. Schiller's email did not go over well with the European Commission, and Apple ultimately reversed its decision.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple CEO Tim Cook defers to Schiller when it comes to App Store matters. Schiller joined Apple back in 1987, left in 1993, and returned in 1997 when Steve Jobs came back to Apple. He has been at the forefront of some of Apple's biggest product launches, developing marketing strategies for everything from the iPod to the Mac.

He was one of the main supporters of adding third-party apps to the iPhone, working to convince Jobs to launch the App Store in 2008. Known as a Jobs "mini-me," Schiller has reportedly kept Jobs' philosophy alive at Apple. Under his watch, human review has remained a key part of the App Store, and the App Store has grown into a major revenue stream for Apple.

More on Schiller can be read in The Wall Street Journal's full profile.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller Works 80 Hours a Week Overseeing App Store

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Another PR piece: look Apple C-suite people work hard tooooooooo!

I'm glad he has a job at a company he loves, doesn't need a second job to pay the bills. He may not be a 1 percent'r but he's also not what the majority of citizens are either.

Not many people even get the chance to succeed like this.

And this why why I feel like it's a fluff piece on Apple WSJ edition.

IMO

Snarky me: work smarter not harder 😬

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
ok, feel about him however suits you ... for a person in that position and compensation, he should be working 80hr weeks ...
No-one should be working 80+ hours a week. Regardless of position or compensation. Its 2024, not 1824.

Don't feel sorry for him though. He's clearly a control freak if he can't trust the thousands working for him to do the right thing without him overseeing everything.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Lots of people work 80 hours a week. Lots of people work in fields, under terrible conditions, with no benefits, for 80 hours a week, just to barely make enough to survive.

So, hours worked doesn't really impress me. Results do - and whether you can get awesome results in 10 hours a week or 80 hours a week, well that's up to you.

Now, when it comes to success here, I am not sure there has been a ton the past few years...

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Another PR piece: look Apple C-suite people work hard tooooooooo!

I'm glad he has a job at a company he loves, doesn't need a second job to pay the bills. He may not be a 1 percent'r but he's also not what the majority of citizens are either.

Not many people even get the chance to succeed like this.

And this why why I feel like it's a fluff piece on Apple WSJ edition.

IMO

Snarky me: work smarter not harder 😬

Phil Schiller is definitively in the top 1%. He is, in fact, in the top 0.1%, or higher.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
No-one should be working 80+ hours a week. Regardless of position or compensation. Its 2024, not 1824.

Don't feel sorry for him though. He's clearly a control freak if he can't trust the thousands working for him to do the right thing without him overseeing everything.
Yeah. When I saw this the only thought that occurred to me was that he must be a terrible manager, or otherwise terrible at his job. It may comfort other investors but it shakes this one.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I thought we had got to the point where we realise that quality over quantity is better every time. One of my workplaces had to send out warnings to people who were doing too many hours... because some people took it to the extreme and ended up having car accidents. It was absolutely serious.

I'm pretty sure numerous studies have shown that there is an optimum number of hours for peak efficiency and performance. You end up getting to the point of diminishing returns and actually making serious mistakes.

It is also key to be able to switch off... that means no reading emails at 3:20 AM, no sending texts at 1:40 AM or taking calls at 6:00 to 7:00 AM while you're trying to have breakfast etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.