Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brydge has released a short YouTube video showcasing its Brydge Pro+ Keyboard with trackpad support. This comes just days after Apple announced its own Magic Keyboard with designated trackpad alongside both the new iPad Pro and new MacBook Air.

In the video, Brydge highlights some of the capabilities of its new Brydge Pro+ keyboard. The major new feature is full trackpad support in iPadOS 13.4. The trackpad can be used for precise text editing, bringing up the Dock from any app with a three-finger tap, opening App Exposé with a two-finger swipe, and more.

Preorders for the keyboard are available now. It is priced starting at $199.99 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $229.99 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Preorders placed today are currently showing an estimated mid-April shipping date.

brydge-ipad-pro-trackpad.jpg

Brydge is still gauging interest for a standalone multi-touch trackpad for the iPad Pro that remains listed as "coming soon."

Apple's Magic Keyboard is priced at $299 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $349 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. It is slated to release sometime in May.

Apple has also announced that iPadOS 13.4 with trackpad support will be launching next Tuesday, March 24th.

Article Link: Brydge Showcases New iPadOS 13.4 Trackpad Features in its New Pro+ Keyboard

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Crash and burn? It's a win-win IMO. A $150 price difference is substantial, and it's more a conventional approach. There will be a lot of much cheaper versions, just like the regular non-trackpad keyboards. Nothings changed in regards to that.

You get what you pay for. The differences between the regular Brydge and Apple Smart keyboard are similar. The presence of the Apple Smart keyboard hasn't affected Brydge.

My only concern, is that I pre-ordered months ago with a shipping date of April 20 and now that's what orders today get? WTF? Something ain't right there. :D

"The way it holds and supports it worries me... I'm paranoid of any bending lol"

There doesn't seem to be an issue with that. These have been around for a very long time. Although I share your concern. I guess you just can't torque it, or there might be weakening somewhere. Makes sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: bigpics and rp2011

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I ordered the Brydge Pro+ right after Apple announced trackpad support in iOS 13.4. I love my current Brydge Pro way more than the Smart Keyboard Folio. Only complaint is you either need to use Brydge’s less-appealing magnetic back cover with their logo facing the correct way, or deal
with a turned Apple logo without the cover.

Also, for what it’s worth, the pic in the article shows an older keyboard model on a regular iPad paired with the Brydge standalone trackpad. Yes, it’s ugly, but way more functional than what Apple Smart Keyboard for the iPad and iPad Air. Brydge on iPad Pro looks WAY better. I’ve gotten many “wait, that’s an iPad?! I thought it was a MacBook” type reactions from people.

I don’t get all the Brydge hate...

EDIT: Oh, and Apple’s $350 keyboard doesn’t have keys for brightness, media controls, locking, home screen, and volume? Nice! Love to see it!

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So we are back at the fundamentals accesories for working for over 30 years with an OS...keyboard mouse/trackpad....
I bet this thing, even kids that are born with touch in hands...will appreciate...
[automerge]1584813716[/automerge]
Haven’t tested but looks like the more robust solution. And makes better use of the space. Apples trackpad is insanely small, netbook,style
.the apples trackpad is longer, and has the same hight...so Apples is a around 12% bigger

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Nice, cheaper alternative. Bigger range of viewing angles, more lap-able. OTOH quite heavy and more of a hassle to get the iPad in and out. If the Magic Keyboard is similarly heavy, I might actually consider the Brydge.

Reactions: rp2011

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Glad to see less expensive alternatives ... I want to see another offering from Logitech.

Both Logitech and Bridge should work on supporting ALL the previous iPads for the last 4yrs in various sizes. Right now unless better iPadOS functionality ... price may not give them sufficient revenues:profits to continue in this market segment. I guess on my part.

Reactions: TheDreaded26

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Apple has smartly made an old iPad a way better option for kids than a brand new chromebook for their homework. I expect third party keyboard and trackpad sales to boom.

When Apple releases a refreshed basic iPad, hopefully they offer a nice first party keyboard to bundle it with for education.

Last edited:
Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
part of me believes that Apple priced their keyboard off of Brydge’s pricing. They know theirs looks higher quality, so the Apple tax reflects it. I personally have a pre-trackpad Brydge keyboard for my 12.9 and waited to see if Apple would offer an alternative to Brydge’s trackpad. Now, my debate is: is it worth it for me to buy another Brydge keyboard, but this time with the trackpad, or just go all in with Apple?
My only concern with the Apple product is that the previous keyboard folio had terrible quality issues.

Reactions: bigpics

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Is Brydge a sponsor of Macrumors or something? Seems like every time they so much as breathe there’s a front page article about it.

Haquers

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
part of me believes that Apple priced their keyboard off of Brydge’s pricing. They know theirs looks higher quality, so the Apple tax reflects it. I personally have a pre-trackpad Brydge keyboard for my 12.9 and waited to see if Apple would offer an alternative to Brydge’s trackpad. Now, my debate is: is it worth it for me to buy another Brydge keyboard, but this time with the trackpad, or just go all in with Apple?
My only concern with the Apple product is that the previous keyboard folio had terrible quality issues.

I’m in a similar position. I love the 11” Pro/Brydge combo I currently have but am very intrigued by the mouse support in iOS 13.4. To Apple’s credit, the new Magic Keyboard looks much more stable/stable than the keyboard folio, but its overpriced. I’m thinking of just getting a Magic Trackpad and adding it to my current setup.

Reactions: AndyO!

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I have the Brydge Pro keyboard for the 2018 11" iPad Pro. I was excited to get it but have realized that the design falls down. The first issue is the weight of the keyboard. While the keyboard is extremely well built it adds significant heft to the iPad, essentially doubling the thickness and more than doubling the weight. The second issue, and to me the more important one, is the fact that the typing experience is sub-par. The key size is way too small, the spacing between the keys is too large and the key caps are totally flat. This essentially makes typing uncomfortable and imprecise. If you have larger hands and fingers then you should seriously think twice, even with smaller hands the experience is not good. I'm looking forward to Apple's magic keyboard for the iPad even though the price is high.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Brydge Pro+ has two obvious advantages:
  • 6th function keys row with media and system controls
  • $100-120 cheaper
For that, you sacrifice these benefits of Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad:
  • USB-C port
  • Floating cantilever design
  • Back protection
  • Caps lock indicator
  • No need to charge separately
Subjectively speaking, since neither are available for hands on use, Apple's solution just seems more stable and easier to attach and detach.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
To each his/her own I guess. I prefer a standalone magic keyboard (and now mouse) for when docked at home, and just use the onboard (glass) keyboardwhen out and about. Best of both worlds, without the fuss of attaching and detaching.

Reactions: AndyO!

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
I preordered these a while ago, and they were priced the same as Apple’s new Magic keyboard. So if the price here is the correct one, and not mistakenly the price for their keyboard without the trackpad, then they must have lowered it because of Apple’s new model. I hope when they ship mine that if they did lower the price, i will get the benefit of that.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Brydge Pro+ has two obvious advantages:
  • 6th function keys row with media and system controls
  • $100-120 cheaper
For that, you sacrifice these benefits of Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad:
  • USB-C port
  • Floating cantilever design
  • Back protection
  • Caps lock indicator
  • No need to charge separately
Subjectively speaking, since neither are available for hands on use, Apple's solution just seems more stable and easier to attach and detach.
yep, but lets see how the keys feel...lets see how the trackpad works....lets see the lap-ability ...still many little things remain unknown until we try them both that can make the choice easier

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.