Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Fortnite currently banned from the App Store and Epic Games on the verge of having its Apple developer accounts terminated for violating App Store rules by rolling out its own payments system for in-game currency, Epic is hosting a #FreeFortnite Cup this Sunday for "one more Victory Royale with friends across all platforms."

freefortnite_cup.jpg

Fortnite users who already have the game installed on their iOS devices are currently able to continue playing the game, but they will be "left behind" when Chapter 2 - Season 4 launches on August 27 as Epic won't be able to push the game update to those users.

As part of #FreeFortnite Cup, Epic is offering a host of prizes ranging from an in-game outfit and a physical "Free Fortnite" hat to hardware such as Alienware laptops, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 tablets, OnePlus 8 phones, and Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch gaming systems.
If you’re left behind on iOS after the Chapter 2 - Season 4 launch, the party continues on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, GeForce Now, and through both the Epic Games App at epicgames.com and the Samsung Galaxy Store. Join the fight against @AppStore on social with #FreeFortnite.

All of your friends. Awesome prizes. And one bad apple. We’re droppin the #FreeFortnite Cup.
Finally, Epic is sharing tips for iOS users worried about being unable to continue playing Fortnite, recommending that they make sure their game data is stored in their Epic accounts and investigate alternative Fortnite-compatible devices where they can simply pick up where they left off. For Android users, Epic notes that users can still install it through other means such as Samsung's Galaxy Store or sideloading, despite the game having also been pulled from the Google Play store.

Article Link: Epic Games Throwing a 'FreeFortnite Cup' Bash Before iOS Users Lose Access

Reactions: bb9

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
If I were a Fortnite player, I'd be kind of tweaked off at Epic at this point. Probably a good idea to just find some other game to play, or do something more constructive with your time.

So... does Epic think everyone is going to run out and buy new hardware, just because they decided to start a fight with Apple?

NoImDirtyDan

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
So they did this to advertise the release of the next season of Fortnite? Cutting off iOS users and forcing them to buy their season pass on another device? lol free swag btw

Can they continue to develop on OS X? They are advertising Mac, but will they still have access to OS Xdeveloper tools?

lolrepeatlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
A perfect example where a greedy Game developer wants its users/fans to invest in new devices but not ready to share 30% of its revenue earned from the platform to the platform.

I prefer to drop the game off my list.
Do people NOT realize when they say this, they are ignoring Apple’s whole part? It’s the company that refuses to back down from their monopolistic 30% cut. They’re taking it from every single developer on the App Store. I don’t understand, why are you pointing fingers at Epic but can’t realize who is really at fault here?

newphone22

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2019
Do people NOT realize when they say this, they are ignoring Apple’s whole part? It’s the company that refuses to back down from their monopolistic 30% cut. They’re taking it from every single developer on the App Store. I don’t understand, why are you pointing fingers at Epic but can’t realize who is really at fault here?

because apple fans. lmao.

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
To them, Apple always good, others bad.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Let this game die already, please. None of the big streamers are playing it anymore, so they needed to give people a reason to talk about the game again. They could have easily worked around the system, while still respecting Apple's guidelines and not looking like a bunch of whining babies. Even Twitch figured this out for their app by offering the discounted rate on their "bits" currency on a website that's accessible through the mobile browser.

It's just like when Epic used their power to make Sony look like the bad guys for denying cross-play, and forced their hand. It's bullying, and borderline extortion.

Lumineux

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
You mean the same 30% cut that Microsoft’s Xbox, Sony’s PlayStation, and Google’s Play Store take?

lolrepeatlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
Let this game die already, please. None of the big streamers are playing it anymore, so they needed to give people a reason to talk about the game again.
I just checked Twitch and it’s the #3 most streamed game.
They could have easily worked around the system, while still respecting Apple's guidelines and not looking like a bunch of whining babies.
Even Twitch figured this out for their app by offering the discounted rate on their "bits" currency on a website that's accessible through the mobile browser.
Thing is, Epic and Amazon, as well as Netflix and Spotify, can’t just tell people “Hey, go to the website to buy or subscribe.” It’s against the rules. They just have to hope that people figure it out.
It's just like when Epic used their power to make Sony look like the bad guys for denying cross-play, and forced their hand. It's bullying, and borderline extortion.
Oh no! They did something good for us as consumers, and allowed people to play with other platforms, removing the network effect! How sad! Epic is terrible!

lolrepeatlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
You mean the same 30% cut that Microsoft’s Xbox, Sony’s PlayStation, and Google’s Play Store take?
When did I say the Play Store was okay? Google also uses plenty of monopolistic techniques to get that 30% cut. They’re **** for it too.

Also, funny how people here hate Google for all their privacy stuff but as soon as they do something just like Apple does, it’s all good.

For Xbox and PlayStation, those are consoles. They make actual money on the 30% cut and on services like PlayStation Plus. Not on the consoles, because they usually nearly break even or even lose money at launch per unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.