Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is planning to charge between $7 and $9 for its upcoming ad-supported tier, according to a new report from Bloomberg. Netflix's current lowest-priced plan is $9.99 per month in the United States, with the plan offering 480p streaming.

netflix1.jpg

Netflix also has a $15.49 per month plan for 1080p streaming, and a $19.99 per month plan for 4K streaming. The lower-cost ad-supported tier is aimed at those who don't mind ads and who do not want to pay $9.99+ for a standard Netflix subscription.

Ads will be shown before and during TV shows and movies, and Netflix plans to sell approximately four minutes of advertising per hour, which will be shorter than the 10 to 20 minutes of commercials per hour shown by cable companies. Customers will not be able to skip ads or access playback controls while ads are playing, but Netflix does want to limit ad targeting and make sure ads are not too repetitive.

The ad-supported tier will have more restrictions than more expensive tiers, and Netflix does not plan to allow customers subscribed to the plan to download TV shows and movies for offline viewing.

Netflix has turned to ads because it has not been able to maintain subscriber count. The company lost subscribers for the first time in 10 years in the first quarter of 2022, and blamed "a large number of households sharing accounts" and "competition."

Netflix is aiming to introduce the more affordable plan in limited markets before the end of the year, but a full rollout may not happen until 2023.

Article Link: Netflix Plans to Charge $7 to $9 for Ad-Supported Plan

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
After a year, it'll be the #1 plan. Other streamers either offer ad-lite for a lower price rom the start, or added them later.

You think its silly, but its not for many other people.
It's incredible how little so many people value their own time and attention, that anyone would even consider paying around $8 to watch ads when they could spend just a few dollars more per month to skip them.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
It's clear to me that Netflix is in trouble. Content is king when there are multiple streaming services and Netflix is loosing their most popular content back to the original US networks (The US Office and Friends were the most watched series on Netflix). I doubt any streaming service is goign to be as popular as Netflix was back in the day just because noone will have all the content people want and people won't want to subscribe to every service. Ad-supported tiers may help, but I am very interested to see what services do when they no longer get the subscriber numbers they are hoping for. The only services I think will do well are Prime as so many people use Prime for other Amazon perks and Disney because surely that has the most desired content (Disney/Pixar for kids, Star Wars and Marvell for comic/fantasy fans, all the ABC and Fox/Touchstone content).

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I’ve always felt it insulting to content creators to limit resolution based on plan. Imagine the people who spend weeks mastering Netflix original shows and movies in 4k knowing that the majority of people will only ever see it in 480p since the cheapest plans are the most popular. Ditto for ads. If I was an actor/director/fx artist/etc. I’d hate for my project to be on Netflix (vs the streamers who don’t limit resolution).

This kind of content treatment only strengthens the theater exclusive release argument. (And I’d much rather watch in the comfort of my home on my superior system.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.