Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a couple of leaks in recent weeks, Beats today is officially announcing four new colors for its Powerbeats Pro wireless earphones: Spring Yellow, Cloud Pink, Lava Red, and Glacier Blue. The new earphones will go on sale June 9 and sell for the same $249.95 price as the existing color options.

powerbeats_pro_new_colors.jpg

Aside from the colors, the new Powerbeats Pro models are otherwise identical to the original Powerbeats Pro, offering up to nine hours of listening time with the charging case bringing the total listening time to over 24 hours. A five-minute Fast Fuel charging feature gives you up to an hour and a half of playback time.

As with every other recent Beats and AirPods product, the Powerbeats Pro include Apple's H1 chip for easy pairing, seamless switching between devices via iCloud, and "Hey Siri" functionality.

powerbeats_pro_jun_2020.jpg

Designed with a sports focus, Powerbeats Pro offer IPX4 sweat and water resistance, so you can use them in the gym without worry. You should avoid submerging them in water, although the original models stood up to splashes, brief submersion, and even more extended dunking in our testing.

Powerbeats Pro include on-ear volume and track controls on each earbud, and adjustable earhooks help secure the earphones during vigorous workouts. Four sizes of eartips are included to maximize comfort and provide a good seal in the ear, although the earphones don't offer any active noise cancellation.

powerbeats_pro_glacier_blue.jpg

The Powerbeats Pro charging case is considerably larger than the case for the AirPods or AirPods Pro, primarily due to the larger design of the earphones themselves. The case also charges solely through a Lightning port and does not charge wirelessly, though a Lightning to USB-A cable is included.

To celebrate the launch of the new Powerbeats Pro colors, Beats today used a drone to drop off the new earphones to members of FaZe Clan, the professional esports organization that is itself celebrating its tenth anniversary. As of last month, Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine became a part owner of FaZe Clan, having led a $40 million fundraising round.

Article Link: Powerbeats Pro Debut in Four New Colors: Spring Yellow, Cloud Pink, Lava Red, and Glacier Blue

Last edited:

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I will stick with my AirPods Pro. The ear hooks on my Powerbeats 3 broke three times and I don’t want to spend anymore money fixing it. When I got that pair, AppleCare was not available for headphones.

mikeyteh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
The Powerbeats Pro is not quite the same as the 3. Although I previously owned both the 3 and Pro and never had your experience with the ear hooks. How did that happen?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will stick with my AirPods Pro. The ear hooks on my Powerbeats 3 broke three times and I don’t want to spend anymore money fixing it. When I got that pair, AppleCare was not available for headphones.

That sounds about right. The biggest default issue with the Powerbeats, is hardware issues across-the-board. The Hardware standards are garbage for what they’re charging for this price, there’s just so many other options on the market when those types of things shouldn’t be happening three times in a row.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: BlueDawg1 and R88D

mam8dg

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2019
Phew, I bought Powerbeats Pro a week ago and was worried they were about to get refreshed. Looks like that will not happen for a little while.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The yellow ones look nice.
I am still surprised that Apple is not selling the red ones as Product Red.
And more surprised is that the exchange already have them listed.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Are they overpriced? Maybe, but I have tried every wireless headphones and headset for working out and nothing comes close to the comfort of these. Great battery life but unfortunately the case is huge

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Had PBPs for majority of year now. This product has the potential to be really good but it just sucks after you've used it for a while (gym and lifting). They need to improve it instead of coming out of new colors...

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Are they overpriced? Maybe, but I have tried every wireless headphones and headset for working out and nothing comes close to the comfort of these. Great battery life but unfortunately the case is huge
Yeah, I kind of arrived at the same place several months back when I got my (standard, boring black) set. I've gone through so many pairs of exercise headphones over the years looking for what would fit and stay in my (apparently) weirdly shaped ears, and not become uncomfortable after a half hour or whatever. These were the only ones that work for me. I paused long and hard before spending $200, but they've been worth every penny.

I don't care what brand name is on the box—they fit, they feel good, they stay put, and the battery lasts as long as I need it to. Problem solved.

But yah, that case tho... next to my Airpods case it's just comically huge, like some giant black clam.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Had PBPs for majority of year now. This product has the potential to be really good but it just sucks after you've used it for a while (gym and lifting). They need to improve it instead of coming out of new colors...
What do they need to improve? I’m thinking of getting the red ones eventually. Lord help me but I’m actually working out again.

medee88

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Austin, TX

I've had the powerbeats pro for almost a year now using them for long cycling rides (2+ hours), gyms, construction and remodeling etc and never had any problem with the ear hooks, so maybe they fixed them with the PowerBeats Pro?

It's definitely my most diverse set of wireless headphones. I've never had to worry about them even hinting of falling out. I also use AirPods too and more use them for more normal situations

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
My power beats 3 are still going strong but now with pro new colors I may pick up a set when BestBuy or Target have their Holiday sales... :cool: :cool:

Reactions: BlueDawg1

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
"the Powerbeats Pro include Apple's H1 chip for easy pairing, seamless switching between devices via iCloud".
Yes, sometimes it is seamless for sure!
60% of the time it works every time.
[automerge]1590775563[/automerge]
Yeah, I kind of arrived at the same place several months back when I got my (standard, boring black) set. I've gone through so many pairs of exercise headphones over the years looking for what would fit and stay in my (apparently) weirdly shaped ears, and not become uncomfortable after a half hour or whatever. These were the only ones that work for me. I paused long and hard before spending $200, but they've been worth every penny.

I don't care what brand name is on the box—they fit, they feel good, they stay put, and the battery lasts as long as I need it to. Problem solved.

But yah, that case tho... next to my Airpods case it's just comically huge, like some giant black clam.
Is the bass overemphasized like the previous Powerbeats?

• Disagree
Reactions: BlueDawg1

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Is the bass overemphasized like the previous Powerbeats?
This is a good question, but unfortunately not one I can answer without being really subjective. So, with that in mind...

I had a pair of PowerBeats 2's prior to the PowerBeats Pros (the kind with the short cable connecting one to the other) and found their sound profile really sloppy, to the point of being muddy. All the usual negatives people label the "Beats" sound as having. The PowerBeats Pros, to my ears, are much more balanced. The bass still has obvious emphasis, but it doesn't feel like it's just stomping all over everything else. The mids and highs are cleaner.

As a comparison, I also have standard AirPods and some Sony Professional-series over-ear headphones (wired). The Sonys destroy everything in terms of sound quality, as they should. Much more neutral. Nothing suffers, nothing is lacking. The Airpods are great for phone calls and podcasts. Music quality is not great although I wouldn't call it "bad." Low frequencies are really lacking, however.

For me, the PowerBeats Pros are what I want workout headphones to sound like: Loud and clean, but with a low-end punch especially when I'm listing to EDM or metal. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.