Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made the option to upgrade to new Home architecture available again with the release of iOS 16.4, iPadOS 16.4, and macOS Ventura 13.3, after it temporarily pulled the update in December.

home-upgrade-available-feature.jpg

After updating Apple devices to the latest software, users can once again opt to upgrade any homes set up in the Home app to the new Home architecture, which Apple says brings faster, more reliable performance, especially for smart homes with a lot of smart accessories installed.

To perform the upgrade, open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, tap or click the ellipsis button (three encircled dots), then select Home Settings. Select Software Update, tap or click Learn More under "Home Upgrade Available," then follow the prompts. Users who upgraded previously will not see this option and don't need to do anything, since their Home architecture is already up-to-date.

Ahead of the launch of iOS 16 last year, Apple promised a new architecture for the Home app, and briefly offered it following the release of iOS 16.2. But the option was temporarily pulled after users reported issues such as HomeKit devices becoming stuck in an "updating" or "configuring" status, devices going missing entirely, invitations to share the Home with other users failing, HomeKit Secure Video recording not working, and more.

Article Link: PSA: Apple Has Made Its New Home Architecture Update Available Again

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: zapmymac

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Note that every device has to be on iOS 16 or MacOS Ventura if you want them to be able to control your home accessories after performing this update.

I'll be skipping it, same as I've had to skip the "unlock Notes with your phone's pin" option as that blocks devices not on iOS 16 from reading them. I was burnt years ago when upgrading Reminders. Learnt my lesson!

(I have a 6S as a backup phone, "stuck" on iOS 15.)

String

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Same here 6s. My eve energy controls the heating and it’s useful to be able to control the heating when out and about. I’ll probably get a new phone in the Autumn and this problem will go away.

Reactions: orbital~debris

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Interesting....the wife hasn't updated her phone yet, so it's warned me she will not be able to use HomeKit until she's completed her update too. It seems like only devices on 16.4 will be able to use the new architecture?

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
my iPhone 6s is stuck with iOS 15, so after this HomeKit architecture update, my 6s cannot tilise Home app
also, my iPad pro (2nd gen) also dropped out and no longer a Home Hub after this update

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021
my iPhone 6s is stuck with iOS 15, so after this HomeKit architecture update, my 6s cannot tilise Home app
also, my iPad pro (2nd gen) also dropped out and no longer a Home Hub after this update
iPads are no longer supported as Hubs unfortunately, you need an Apple TV or a HomePod

• Angry
Reactions: Ion-X and gmarm

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Seems to work faster than before. I had the feeling that HomeKit wanted the exact current status from a device before allowing me to manipulate anything, which meant that slow devices blocked everything. Now it's really responsive.

However, and this may be a dealbreaker for some people, upgrading the architecture required everyone to be upgraded to 16.4, so if you - or invited people - use older devices (not being able to upgrade to 16.4) to control HomeKit I'd NOT upgrade but rather wait and see

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I do live in an unsupported country, but my HomePod minis are still stuck in Configuring, even after a hard reboot and restore of the HomePodOS, plus nuking my HomeKit Home in the Home.app... so I don't know, maybe you should postpone the upgrade for a little while, I wouldn't trust it yet.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I updated my iPhone and Homepods, will do later for the Macs and Apple TV.

But for the Homekit update I will wait. I have no problems at all, so no rush to update. At least they don't force you to update yet.

Reactions: Jseeker

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Remote access to alarms is still broken with the "new HomeKit architecture", been that way since introduction with 16.2...

For ****s sake Apple, fix it or just go ahead and remove recurring alarms from the HomePods entirely, without being able to disable alarms remotely it is an entirety useless feature that will only result in pissed off neighbours when I inevitably go on a business trip or vacation without remembering to disable my recurring alarm.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Dunno if it’s related, but I’d been having a lot of problems with Siri controlled HomeKit stuff since I installed the pulled update, but in the last few days it’s been spot on.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The frustrating thing is that in my experience, the new architecture is a massive improvement over the old - so much quicker responses, no 'lost' requests or feedback... but I still can't share my Home with the rest of my family, even though they're all running devices on 16.4

• Wow
Reactions: centauratlas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.