Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When millions of iPads and iPhones are updated to iOS 11 on September 19, older 32-bit apps that have not been updated with iOS 11 support will no longer launch.

If you attempt to open one of these 32-bit apps, iOS 11 will refuse to open it and will offer up a message that says the app needs to be updated to work with the new operating system.

You're also not going to find 32-bit apps available when searching in the new App Store, nor can previously downloaded 32-bit apps be installed through the Purchased tab.

32bitappios11.jpg

Apple has not widely publicized the imminent lack of support for 32-bit apps, so when older apps stop working tomorrow, it could come as a shock to the users who are still have them installed and use them regularly.

Apple has, however, attempted to warn customers. Starting with the launch of iOS 10.1 in October of 2016, when launching a 32-bit app, Apple informed customers that older apps "may slow down your iPhone." As of iOS 10.3, a more explicit message has been provided: "This app will not work with future versions of iOS."

Customers who have paid attention to these warnings may not be as surprised, but not everyone may have seen or read the warnings.

Apple began transitioning to 64-bit apps when the iPhone 5s launched in September of 2013. All apps and app updates have been required to use 64-bit architecture since June of 2015, so all apps that are 32-bit have not been updated for at least two years.

Many app developers have gone back and added 64-bit support to older apps, but there are still bound to be many apps that lack support.

Current iOS 10 users can check to see if there are any 32-bit apps on their iOS devices in the Settings app. Go to General --> About --> Applications to see the "App Compatibility" section that lists any outdated apps.

iOS 11 is only compatible with devices that feature a 64-bit chip, meaning it works with everything that has an A7 or newer chip. Specifically, iOS 11 is compatible with iPhone 5s, SE, 6 Plus, 6, 6s Plus, 6s, 7 Plus, and 7, along with the new fifth-generation iPad, the iPad Air, the iPad Air 2, all iPad Pro models, the iPad mini 2 and later, and the 6th generation iPod touch.

Customers on older devices like the iPhone 5 and 5c that can't install iOS 11 will not be affected.

Article Link: PSA: Your Older 32-Bit Apps Won't Launch After Installing iOS 11

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Let the complaints roll in.... People are going to start bitching about how Apple should still be supporting 32bit Applications... Just FYI, Apple has given developers plenty of notice about this change and the need for App updates....

falcn

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Let the complaints roll in.... People are going to start bitching about how Apple should still be supporting 32bit Applications... Just FYI, Apple has given developers plenty of notice about this change and the need for App updates....
I will not update to iOS 11.
I have 13 apps that I use regularly that are not supported anymore. They work just fine, but they won't be updated because developers disappeared years ago. I'll have to buy a replacement for every app, but, in most cases, alternatives are worse than what I already have, and in some cases there are no replacements at all.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Are any 32 bit apps still being sold in the App store? If so, do they provide a warning about this?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
What are the real world noticeable benefits of killing 32 bit apps on a mobile device? I don't run any on my device, but I also don't see any difference from when I did.

Windows 10 still runs 32 bit stuff just fine on a 64 bit platform.

Removing 32 bit support , what has that done for iOS 11? From what I'm reading , it has done zilch for performance improvements.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple is capable of offering full backward compatibility and they should. There are a lot of fine apps on iOS and applications on MacOS that don't run with the new's iterations of the OS and nolonger have developer support. This is a flaw in Apple's corporate culture. They would sell more hardware if they offered full backward compatibility. A lot of older hardware is kept around and people don't do upgrades to the new hardware and new OS because apps they use won't run on the newer systems.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I have 20+ 32-bit apps installed and those I use more than once a week I have found alternatives, some free, some paid, so I'm ready for iOS 11. I will miss some of the early iOS games, and while I might launch one only every few months, I'll miss them really only for the nostalgia. Bring on the new OS!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I have a LOT of 32-bit apps that I use regularly. I've written to many of the developers. I heard back from one who will be releasing a re-compiled version. There have been several apps I've purchased over the years that just stopped working or crashed when a new iOS version was released, so I guess I'm used to the ceaseless forward march of technology. But still, I wish I didn't have to lose those apps....

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Time to move on. Unfortunately, sometimes there are 32-bit apps that are very useful and don’t have a great 64-bit equivalents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.