Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aqara this week released the Presence Sensor FP2 – a brand new millimeter wave sensor that goes far beyond the capabilities of more conventional motion sensors to facilitate powerful automations, with support for Apple HomeKit.

aqara-fp2-presence-sensor-with-box.jpeg

The sensor uses millimeter wave radar technology to detect human presence in a room with greater precision than traditional passive infrared sensors, allowing for more specific automations and a more reliable experience. Aqara says that FP2 detects even the slightest movement, such as breathing, to ascertain human presence. This level of precision means that users can set up automations to turn on lights and keep them on when someone is in an area, even when there is very minimal motion that more conventional sensors would not be able to sense, for example.

aqara-fp2-presence-sensor-contents.jpeg

The sensor comes with a two meter USB-A to USB-C power cable, two adhesive magnetic mounting plates, a screw, a wall anchor, and an instruction manual. You need to provide your own USB-A wall adapter to power the device.

Design

The sensor sports an extremely compact design with a rounded body and matte white finish. At the top, there is a pairing button and an ambient light sensor. The design is sufficiently discreet to tuck in the corner of a room or leave on a tabletop.

aqara-fp2-presence-sensor-side.jpeg

The base of the sensor swivels out and fully extends, helping you to position it exactly as you wish. The base is magnetic, allowing you to adhere it to one of the included magnetic plates if you plan to install the sensor on a wall or ceiling. Swivelling out the base also reveals the USB-C port required to power the device and a HomeKit pairing code sticker.

aqara-fp2-presence-sensor-stand-and-port.jpeg

The FP2 is IPX5 rated against water and dust, which allows it to be installed in humid environments like bathrooms or even some outdoors areas.

Set Up, Functionality, and HomeKit Support

While the Presence Sensor FP2 can be used with an Aqara hub, of which there are multiple options to choose from, such as the M1S or M2 hub, the device can operate without a hub via wi-fi. Setting up the FP2 follows the same process as many other Aqara accessories. Simply connect the FP2 to a power source, open the Aqara app, hold down the small button on the accessory, and follow the on-screen instructions.

To take full advantage of the FP2's features, you need to use the Aqara app. The sensor has separate modes depending on where you plan to position the sensor, each with subsequent options for fine-tuning to your exact needs. Users can set up various detection zones and targets, as well as exclude certain areas from the sensor to prevent movement in these areas triggering automations.

The app allows you to define up to 30 zones within a room, each with their own automations. After setting up these zones in the Aqara app, the configuration can be synced to Apple's Home app as multiple motion or occupancy sensors, allowing you to use the FP2 natively in a HomeKit setup and create automations. The built-in light sensor is also exposed to HomeKit.

The sensor can detect presence up to eight meters away and pinpoint the exact location of individuals in the room with extraordinary accuracy, as visible in the Aqara app. It can also track up to five people at once, allowing for the control of different zones based on the real-time location of each individual. The detection of presence is impressively instantaneous and noticeably more accurate than simpler motion sensor accessories.

The FP2 also offers some unique features such as fall detection in the Aqara app. Other capabilities, including posture, standing, sitting, and lying detection, are set to be added with an update to the device. The FP2 may even be able to support sleep monitoring and respiratory rate detection in the future via an update, according to Aqara.

Bottom Line and How to Buy

With its range of advanced features, Presence Sensor FP2 is one of the most precise, versatile, and... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Aqara's Presence Sensor FP2 Is a Unique, Ultra-Accurate HomeKit Accessory

Last edited:

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
“The sensor uses millimeter wave radar technology to detect human presence…”

I read this to mean it could ignore the cat, but I don’t see that it can do that, right?

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
“The sensor uses millimeter wave radar technology to detect human presence…”

I read this to mean it could ignore the cat, but I don’t see that it can do that, right?
I guess unless they jump up on something, which they near 100% will, so...

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
First off, the wired power is a FEATURE, not a caveat. Who wants to have to keep changing batteries and wonder when they will run out?

Secondly, this review mentions absolutely nothing about what a user should do with the information fed to HomeKit. You would think playing some kind of chime on HomePod speakers would be at the top of the list… or announce with a voice “Mom is still asleep after 10am”… yet HomeKit still doesn’t offer such basic functionality.

timmodugdale

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Madison, WI
It would be nice if it could tell the difference between human and non-human presence. I would like to be able to control for motion in my house without my pugs triggering it.

Reactions: MareLuce

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
First off, the wired power is a FEATURE, not a caveat. Who wants to have to keep changing batteries and wonder when they will run out?

Secondly, this review mentions absolutely nothing about what a user should do with the information fed to HomeKit. You would think playing some kind of chime on HomePod speakers would be at the top of the list… or announce with a voice “Mom is still asleep after 10am”… yet HomeKit still doesn’t offer such basic functionality.
I've had plenty of battery powered sensors in the past with Nest, Hue and Smartthings. They last over a year on battery and provide a month's notice when the battery goes low. No wondering and not much annoyance. The benefit is the ability to install them in places with no access to power, especially hallways or high ceilings. I have some installed 12' up that would be pretty ugly to run a cable to.

In this case, mm wave probably takes too much power to be battery powered so the tradeoff is better sensing but more limited placement.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Dont leave the windows open or the fan on. If this thing can detect breathing its going to freak out.

• Disagree
Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.