Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Aqara Video Doorbell G4 is the first HomeKit Secure Video smart doorbell that can operate via battery power alone, and comes as the first full-featured HomeKit Secure Video smart doorbell in many regions around the world.

aqara-G4-launch.jpg

Beyond HomeKit Secure Video, the Doorbell G4 offers a wide range of features and capabilities, including 1080p video recording, a 162-degree wide-angle lens, two-way audio communication, motion detection, night vision capabilities, weather resistance, support for microSD cards up to 512GB, and more.

aqara-doorbell-g4-box-contents.jpeg

Priced at $119.99, the Doorbell G4 comes with a chime repeater speaker, USB-A to USB-C cable, 20-degree wedge, Philips head screwdriver, six AA batteries, two wall screws and anchors, and two wedge screws.

Design

The Aqara Video Doorbell G4 has a sleek and modern design with a Black or Space Gray-like "Shadow" finish. The large circle at the top of the doorbell contains the 1080p camera, an LED status light, a motion sensor that can detect movement within a five-meter range, and a microphone for two-way audio communication. The button at the bottom is illuminated by an LED around its edge and satisfyingly clicks when pressed. A small speaker for audio output and a sprung screw that releases the backplate are located on the sides.

aqara-doorbell-g4-lens.jpeg

Inside, there is space for six AA batteries, wires for continuous direct power, and a small button that triggers the anti-tamper alarm. The back of the doorbell is adhesive, meaning you can avoid damaging walls with screws if you are happy to rely on it, and has two screw holes for more secure attachment. You can also use the optional angled mounting bracket if you want to get a better framed image of anyone standing directly in front of your door.

aqara-doorbell-g4-and-chime-repeater.jpeg

The chime repeater module's design matches the Doorbell G4, adding an LED indicator, a microSD card slot, a USB-C port for charging, and a Menu bottom. Pressing this button toggles the bell noise on and off, while holding it down for longer can reset network settings, or reset to factory settings.

The doorbell is made of durable plastic and Aqara says that it has an IPX3 rating, which should mean that it can stand up to all but the most extreme weather conditions. That being said, I am not sure that the device would be able to withstand significant external force. While this isn't an issue for most installations, if it fell, I would not be surprised if it broke entirely. This lightweight construction is also evident with the chime, which lacks substantial internal components.

aqara-doorbell-g4-chime-repeater.jpeg

Moreover, if the chime did break and become unusable, purchasing a new one is not an option because the G4 and the chime are pre-paired. The chime links to HomeKit and the 2.4GHz frequency of your home Wi-Fi network, rather than the doorbell itself. The doorbell connects to a unique Wi-Fi frequency generated by the repeater, which can improve overall reliability.

Set Up

The process of adding the Doorbell G4 to the Aqara app and HomeKit is essentially the same as with any other Aqara device. Since it's a WiFi device rather than a Zigbee child device, you do not need to connect it to a hub, meaning that the process is effectively the same as adding an Aqara hub or camera accessory.

After installing the six AA batteries and ensuring that the chime repeater is powered, you need to open the Aqara app and tap "Add Accessory." The app then guides you through the setup process, which is relatively straightforward. It will also update the device's firmware if necessary during this process.

You have the option of adding the Doorbell G4 to Apple's Home app and using HomeKit Secure video either by scanning the HomeKit code on the repeater or by following the setup process within the Aqara app. While the Home app has basic video recording options, the Aqara app provides a wide range of options. You can customize settings such as motion sensing, video resolution, the LED indicator, and more to meet your specific needs. Once the setup process is complete, you can use the Aqara Video Doorbell G4 with Apple HomeKit to monitor your door, receive notifications, and create automations.

Functionality

The Doorbell G4 has a 16:9 field of view, so it may not capture things like packages left on a porch unless the it can be set back quite a bit. This may be an issue for some users who need a square view similar to many other video doorbell cameras. Even so, the 16:9 view is still good for capturing a wider view.

Notifications and integration with the Apple TV and HomePod work perfectly, sounding off a chime when pressed and immediately showing the video feed on a TV. Native Apple Home features like facial recognition, activity zones, automations, and motion detection also work very well, but Aqara discourages use of the motion sensor for an extended period if you plan to use battery power alone.

The doorbell's speaker is not particularly clear, but it serves its purpose and this is normal for products in this category. The repeater can get very loud and you can set your preferred volume in the Aqara app.

HomeKit Secure Video does not record all of the time, so if this is your planned use-case, you will need to use Aqara's app, which also enables additional facial recognition and local storage options. The Doorbell G4 will also support Matter when the specification for cameras is released.

Bottom Line

Overall, the Aqara Smart Video Doorbell G4 is a richly featured smart doorbell with excellent HomeKit integration. The Home app, automations, facial recognition, and notifications work flawlessly with the doorbell. For those who want a smart doorbell but are hesitant to set up a wired connection, the G4 is also an ideal solution, especially as it is the only battery-operated HomeKit Security Video smart doorbell on the market.

aqara-doorbell-g4.jpeg

Personally, I would have preferred the doorbell to have a more square field-of-view so that it can more easily capture deliveries that are left outside, rather than its 16:9 framing that can sometimes cut off the bottom of the frame compared to other smart doorbells. I also would have appreciated it if the doorbell was rechargeable via USB-C rather than using AA batteries, especially since the six AA batteries only last around four months.

With options for battery operations or wired power, multiple mounting possibilities, and dozens of software settings, the Aqara Video Doorbell G4 is surprisingly versatile. Its sleek design, seamless HomeKit Secure Video support, and reliable operation make the doorbell a great choice for anyone in the Apple ecosystem looking to monitor their front door.

How to Buy

Priced at $119.99, the Aqara Smart Video Doorbell G4 is available from Amazon in both North America and Europe, as well as via selected Aqara retailers worldwide.

Note: Aqara provided MacRumors with a Video Doorbell G4 for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received.

Article Link: Review: Aqara's Video Doorbell G4 Offers HomeKit Secure Video in a Sleek Design

Last edited:
Reactions: IT Troll

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Bought and returned this doorbell. The lack of motion detection was what really did it for me. Plus, the instructions lead you to think you get a bunch of “advanced” features by creating an account with them… truth is, you don’t.

I will say that the build is very nice and I really like the included chime module. Also, the setup was dead simple.

Reactions: centauratlas

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Personally I avoid Aqara since they have been known in the past to phone home. Google to find more information. While some report successfully blocking access to Chinese/Xiaomi servers via DNS filtering, others have contradicted that report and found unidentified traffic leaking out in other ways.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
Good to know there’s another HomeKit doorbell, but I’d love to see a genuineLy sleek design; can’t some of the electronics be inside the house? wouldnt it be faster powered by and connected by Ethernet?

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Personally I avoid Aqara since they have been known in the past to phone home. Google to find more information. While some report successfully blocking access to Chinese/Xiaomi servers via DNS filtering, others have contradicted that report and found unidentified traffic leaking out in other ways.
I had not seen anything unusual from their cameras. They seem to work 100% without internet access, but connect sporadically to some server (through SSL) - perhaps for firmware updates or time. The traffic in terms of MB is so small that it might not be for surveillance. Note that I block in/out traffic to any server on China

Reactions: zlt1228

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bought and returned this doorbell. The lack of motion detection was what really did it for me. Plus, the instructions lead you to think you get a bunch of “advanced” features by creating an account with them… truth is, you don’t.

I will say that the build is very nice and I really like the included chime module. Also, the setup was dead simple.

The article above says this features motion detection.

The large circle at the top of the doorbell contains the 1080p camera, an LED status light, a motion sensor that can detect movement within a five-meter range, and a microphone for two-way audio communication.

Are you saying the motion sensing did not work well enough for you?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK

I also would have appreciated it if the doorbell was rechargeable via USB-C rather than using AA batteries, just like the chime repeater, especially since the six AA batteries only last around four months.”

A couple of times it mentions charging the repeater. It’s powered by a USB C port but it’s mains powered, it’s not got a battery.

Adding a battery to the doorbell rather than using AA batteries would have added to the price.

I think they’ve done a good job hitting a much lower price point than other doorbells.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Has anyone seen a smart doorbell that can sit horizontally? If I replace my current doorbell where it is located, I'd need it to be horizontal. It would be nice if it could automatically adjust video based on alignment.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Why this? It seems that trying to recharge a screwed-to-the-outdoor-wall camera device would be a huge PITA. Am I missing something?

eufy doorbells have built in batteries that need charging.

it’s not ideal but they generally have a higher capacity than using AA batteries. Finding the right time to charge can be tricky.

For this model I think it’s more about price/convenience.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Aqara says that it has an IPX3 rating, which should mean that it can stand up to all but the most extreme weather conditions.
This thing will likely be wrecked in light rain. I have examined the whole thing and there’s no gasket to keep water out. The back plate isn’t even tightly snug against the front case and the reset button inside exposes the circuit board. I don’t even see how they could get a 3 rating, I feel like they just claim that. I’d like to see someone splash this and not get water inside. I wouldn’t even give it a 1 because water droplets will easily go between the back plate and front case.

I wish they spent a little effort to seal it with gaskets and make it more resilient to weather. As it stands, you basically can’t put this outside unless under a sheltered porch.

I’m going to be adding way better waterproofing to mine once I mount it but I’m still disappointed they didn’t seal it properly.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I had not seen anything unusual from their cameras. They seem to work 100% without internet access, but connect sporadically to some server (through SSL) - perhaps for firmware updates or time. The traffic in terms of MB is so small that it might not be for surveillance. Note that I block in/out traffic to any server on China

Thanks for your response with real-world observation. I don't have any hands-on experience with Aqara myself. I've stuck with Logitech, Eve, Lutron, etc - manufacturers that I have a high amount trust to enter my home.

My fear with devices like Aqara, is that even if you block traffic to/from China, what is stopping them from renting U.S. AWS servers and running traffic from your house -> AWS -> to wherever they want. In that way, there is no protection. Granted, you are reporting small MB, so perhaps it's more about telemetry data and not actual "eyes on" camera data.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I’d love to see your firewall rule for blocking access to Chinese servers! Would you mind sharing it? Does Chine have a specific block of IP addresses?

If your practice became common, they would simply set up relay servers elsewhere.

• Love

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
The Aqara Video Doorbell G4 has a sleek and modern design with a Black or Space Gray-like "Shadow" finish
Thats a bit subjective! I've worked in Marketing and that is an ugly design, as compared to a Ring doorbell, Ohh my.

How on earth is that sleek? It looks 80's clunky. It was mentioned no motion detection, how is it possible this is even on the market being a doorbell with no motion detection?

zlt1228

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
While privacy is a legitimate concern when using a surveillance camera with access to the internet, singling them out solely because they are Chinese is rather ludicrous.

Reactions: Killroy

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Why this? It seems that trying to recharge a screwed-to-the-outdoor-wall camera device would be a huge PITA. Am I missing something?
Non-hard-wired Ring doorbells have removable rechargeable batteries. People often get two, so you can pop in a fresh one when you take out the depleted one to charge.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
While privacy is a legitimate concern when using a surveillance camera with access to the internet, singling them out solely because they are Chinese is rather ludicrous.

I block traffic to/from a whole range of countries, including Russia, China, North Korea, even Ukraine since I see semi-frequent malicious port scanning from those IPs.

I have nothing against China - it’s a beautiful country with rich history, amazing art and culture and food, but it’s no secret that tech companies there are required to share data to the CCP under their laws.

No matter what nation you are a citizen of, it is probably in your best interest to keep data as close to home as possible. It’s a simple matter of fact that data is weaponized these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.