Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The mid-year rumor season is in full swing, with this week seeing a host of reports about not only the upcoming iPhone 13 but also next year's "iPhone 14," as well as the 2022 iPad Pro lineup and the upcoming redesigned MacBook Pro.

Top-Stories-66-Feature.jpg

There's also some controversy over a Facebook-commissioned study showing that preinstalled apps from Apple and Google dominate usage on their respective platforms, so read on for details on these stories and more!

All iPhone 14 Models May Feature 120Hz ProMotion Displays

While rumors suggest only the two iPhone 13 Pro models will feature 120Hz "ProMotion" displays this year, a report this week claimed that the higher refresh rate is coming to all iPhone 14 models next year, allowing for smoother content and scrolling on the devices.

120-hz-14-holepunch-feature.jpg

In March, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that at least some iPhone 14 models will also abandon the notch in favor of a hole-punch display, similar to some of Samsung's Galaxy smartphones.

iPhone 13 Rumored to Feature Larger Wireless Charging Coil, Possibly for Reverse Wireless Charging

iPhone 13 models will be equipped with a larger wireless charging coil under the back glass for improved heat management, increased wattage, and possibly even a long-awaited reverse wireless charging feature, according to reporter and leaker Max Weinbach.

iphone-13-wireless-charging-coil.jpeg

Reverse wireless charging has been rumored for iPhones for a few years now, but the feature has yet to materialize. Earlier this year, an FCC filing from Apple revealed that iPhone 12 models might have an inactive reverse charging feature.

Redesigned 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro Still on Track for Mass Production in Third Quarter

Apple is still on track to begin mass production of the upcoming redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro with mini-LED displays in the third quarter of this year, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

16-inch-macbook-pro-m2-render.jpg

With production kicking off sometime between now and late September, rumors are indicating we could see an introduction of the new machines around the end of that timeframe, perhaps in October to provide a bit of separation from the iPhone 13 launch in its traditional September launch window.

Apple Likely to Debut Next-Gen 3nm Chip Technology in 2022 iPad Pro

Apple will reportedly launch a new iPad next year featuring a processor based on TSMC's next-generation 3nm process, resulting in faster performance and improved power efficiency.

ipad-pro-3nm-feature.jpg

If the report is accurate, this would be the second time in recent years that Apple has debuted new chip technology in an ‌iPad‌ before an iPhone. In September 2020, the fourth-generation iPad Air was announced with the A14 Bionic chip, around one month before the iPhone 12 lineup was unveiled with the same chip.

The 2022 iPad Pro lineup is also rumored to see the mini-LED display technology from the current 12.9-inch model extended to include the 11-inch model.

Massive New iPad Pro Could Finally Replace the Laptop

Apple has engineers and designers exploring future iPad models with larger display sizes that could be released within a few years from now, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The current iPad Pro is available in 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes.

iPad-More-Than-12.9-Inches-Feature-Orange.jpg

Larger display sizes would help further blur the lines between the iPad Pro and the MacBook Pro, which is available with up to a 16-inch display. However, some customers continue to feel underwhelmed about the iPadOS software platform.

Apple Calls Facebook-Backed Study on Preinstalled Apps 'Seriously Flawed'

The majority of apps used by iPhone users are made by Apple, according to a study commissioned by Facebook. However, an Apple spokesperson fired back, claiming that the survey's methodology was "seriously flawed in a number of ways."

Facebook-Feature.jpg

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has previously admitted that iMessage is his company's "biggest competitor by far," and Facebook also took issue with Apple's new requirement for apps to receive a user's permission to track them.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iPhone 13 and 14, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro Rumors

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Cool features are not cool if the battery dies. What amazes me, other companies can get their batteries to last days, while Apple struggles to get a full day of use. Especially noticeable in the watch. Apple doubling down with poor software that drains the batteries even faster. Before adding more problems for the battery, make a watch and phone battery lasting at least 48 hours for the vast majority of users.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
The line between a laptop and an iPad has almost NOTHING to do with display size. It is 95% about the OS and software capabilities.

I love my iPad mini but the idea that any iPadOS device could replace my laptop is absolutely ridiculous.

If iPadOS does satisfy your needs then I doubt “only” having 12.9” was a bottleneck.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
A 16” iPad Pro? Um… kinda defeats the whole tablet thing no? I mean if the 12.9” is unwieldy to hold…can you imagine a 16”? I totally get that it wouldn’t be used in the same way as your typical tablet. It most likely wouldn’t be held in the hands as much as kept on a stand or on a desk. I would imagine artists will love it for the bigger screen to work on. I’m an artist tho, and even the 12.9” is too big for my needs. I prefer the 11” iPad Pro. Maybe that’s because I travel a lot. I dunno. But my personal preference aside, i still think an iPad Pro larger than 12.9” will be a very niche product.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A 16” iPad Pro? Um… kinda defeats the whole tablet thing no? I mean if the 12.9” is unwieldy to hold…can you imagine a 16”? I totally get that it wouldn’t be used in the same way as your typical tablet. It most likely wouldn’t be held in the hands as much as kept on a stand or on a desk. I would imagine artists will love it for the bigger screen to work on. I’m an artist tho, and even the 12.9” is too big for my needs. I prefer the 11” iPad Pro. Maybe that’s because I travel a lot. I dunno. But my personal preference aside, i still think an iPad Pro larger than 12.9” will be a very niche product.
I agree iPads larger than 12.9" will definitely be niche, even though there will probably be some who go bigger just replace their Mac regardless or portability.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I like the idea some others here have mentioned. There could someday be a 12” and 14-15” instead of 11” and 12.9”.

12.9” is a little too large for me right now, but 12” seems like it could be the perfect size in the future as users want slightly larger displays.

I doubt 12.9” is going to be the maximum size forever.

Reactions: millydog

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
MacRumors forgot to include this headline…

View attachment 1804492
I don't understand why they would include the camera components in their mold. Real cases have a cutout for the lenses so all we should see is the surrounding riser. Smells fake to me.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
iPad has no multitasking (sorry, but multi-window has almost nothing to do with multitasking and I almost never have side-by-side windows on a PC) and no file transfer capabilities. There’s no way it can be even close to replacing a PC for anything except most basic tasks.

Reactions: Da_Hood

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
What is this crap about the much requested reverse charging feature? I've never heard anyone in my life say they wished they could give their cell battery power away to somebody or something else. What a useless feature that the majority of people will never use.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I agree iPads larger than 12.9" will definitely be niche, even though there will probably be some who go bigger just replace their Mac regardless or portability.
To me this would represent a MacBook (pro) - with a detachable keyboard, 4+ speaker sound system, 16 inch 120 Hz 4K+ HDR display, and a triple lense camera with all the features found on the iPhone pro. It must be able to run MacOS though, with the M processor it’s got enough power after all. And then we’re far from a niche product.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The line between a laptop and an iPad has almost NOTHING to do with display size. It is 95% about the OS and software capabilities.
I wonder who came up with the display size as a difference. :)

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Has anyone ever wished for a mouse with wireless charging? You can make it even nicer by charging it wirelessly from a MacBook. Another wishlist is to have USB-C charging for the keyboard, trackpad, and mouse. Or how about reducing the size of the MBP brick or adding a second USB-A or USB-C port to it?

teejaysplace24

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
Los Angeles, California

I love my iPad mini but the idea that any iPadOS device could replace my laptop is absolutely ridiculous.

If iPadOS does satisfy your needs then I doubt “only” having 12.9” was a bottleneck.
“Replacing” a MacBook Pro with an iPad is like replacing a semi truck with a Segway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.