Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter's "Sign in With Apple" feature is now widely available to iPhone and iPad users, following a beta test earlier this month.

twitter-sign-in-with-apple.jpeg

Downloading the Twitter app presents an option to "Continue with Apple," which is available alongside the "Continue with Google" or "Create Account" options.

Using Sign in With Apple, Twitter users who wish to create a new account can do so with their Apple IDs, and can elect to hide their true email addresses from Twitter. Signing up is as simple as confirming an account with Face ID, though Twitter users will still need to provide a date of birth and other info.

Account names appear to be generated based on user name and can be changed afterward, but there are some limitations to be aware of. Since Sign in with Apple does not create a password, it can be difficult to change an account's email address, select a new profile name, or deactivate an account.

Twitter says that Sign in with Apple support will be coming soon to the web.

Article Link: Twitter Rolls Out Sign in With Apple on iPhone and iPad

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Only new accounts? No way to convert existing ones?
"Sign in with Apple" is only meant to save you the trouble of having to create an account with yet another password.

If you already have an account, it provides no benefit. They already have your E-mail address, etc.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
"Sign in with Apple" is only meant to save you the trouble of having to create an account with yet another password.

If you already have an account, it provides no benefit. They already have your E-mail address, etc.
Most services I’ve seen that use Sign in with Apple has allowed you to link existing accounts. I’ve then afterwards changed the email linked to the relay email alias that’s created with Sign In with Apple.
But seems like this is not an option yet with Twitter.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

But it’s also supposed to be able to hide your email. That’s another benefit.

Reactions: Icaras

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
In reality it’s too late. They and their partners already have your real email address. They know who you are.
GDPR prevents them from keeping non current information. So if I change the email, they can’t keep that old data.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Ok, there is a way to use Sign In with Apple with an existing account.
Twitter themselves say that if your email with Sign In with Apple is the same as your current account is the same, they will be linked automatically.
However, if you want to hide your email do this:
1. Start by signing in with Apple to create a new account and use hide your email option. This creates an address. But don’t continue the signup after that first step.
2. Go to your Apple ID settings and “Apps that use Apple ID” and dig out the alias that has been created for Twitter.
3. change your existing Twitter email to the alias. You’ll need to verify it.
4. now signin with Apple in the app and it should now link you to your old account. At least it worked for me.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Ok, there is a way to use Sign In with Apple with an existing account.
Twitter themselves say that if your email with Sign In with Apple is the same as your current account is the same, they will be linked automatically.
However, if you want to hide your email do this:
1. Start by signing in with Apple to create a new account and use hide your email option. This creates an address. But don’t continue the signup after that first step.
2. Go to your Apple ID settings and “Apps that use Apple ID” and dig out the alias that has been created for Twitter.
3. change your existing Twitter email to the alias. You’ll need to verify it.
4. now signin with Apple in the app and it should now link you to your old account. At least it worked for me.
that worked for me. However the twitter app still seems unfinished.
I have 2 accounts, a work related one and a personal one - I switched over to sign in with apple for my personal one. However when you are already logged in using one account, the app won't show the sign in with apple option, it will just ask your handle and password. It only shows you the option when there's no account set up in the app. Weird.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.