Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smart lighting company WiZ has rolled out Matter support to its smart bulbs, lamps, and plugs, making them compatible with Apple Home for the first time (via HomeKitNews).

wiz-smart-bulbs.jpg

The new app, WiZ v2, brings support to accessories that were manufactured in early 2021 or later, and lets users migrate products to the new smart home standard, after which they can be added to any Matter-compatible platform, including Apple Home.

Existing WiZ product owners need to make sure they have the latest version of the WiZ app from the App Store and that their product firmware is up to date. In the app, go to Settings -> Integrations -> Matter, and then follow the steps to get new Matter codes for individual devices.

WiZ products that are updated to support Matter will also work with Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and Samsung SmartThings over a Wi-Fi network, rather than relying on a cloud connection, as was previously the case.

Up until now, the only way to get WiZ lights to work with HomeKit devices was by using Siri Shortcuts or non-officially using a workaround like HomeBridge. WiZ is owned by Signify, which also owns Philips Hue, but the latter, more expensive brand has had its Matter compatibility update delayed.

Matter is an internet of things standard that is designed to improve interoperability of smart devices between brands, so ‌HomeKit‌ devices can work with other smart home devices from Google, Amazon, and others. Matter works over Wi-Fi and Thread, with Wi-Fi allowing smart home devices to communicate with the cloud and Thread offering an energy efficient and reliable mesh network in the home.

Update: HomeKitNews says the update appears to only be for North American users so far, but we've yet to see confirmation whether this is the case.

Article Link: WiZ Smart Lights Now Compatible With Apple Home via Matter Update

Last edited:
Reactions: viktorhun

gah5037

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2022
Wow I literally just took down two wiz lights because I was annoyed at the lack of apple integration.. Dangit!

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
well according to the HomeKitNews article the firmware update is only seems to be rolling out in the USA atm which MacRumors seem to forgot to mention.....
Well, good news for me, mine were purchased and operate out of the USA.
Doesn’t change the fact that they still aren’t supported… yet.
They are the basic A19 bulbs, they should be the very first things supported.

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Be careful with the V2 app. LOTS of bad reviews and failed “upgrades”.

As an alternative, I’ve used Home Assistant to pipe my Wiz bulbs into HomeKit for several months and it’s worked quite well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Be careful with the V2 app. LOTS of bad reviews and failed “upgrades”.

As an alternative, I’ve used Home Assistant to pipe my Wiz bulbs into HomeKit for several months and it’s worked quite well.
Yes, this works very well. I use it to mix and match vious kinds of lights and switches and remote controls. I think Home Assistant is what Home Kit should be. I have it running on a virtual machine on an old headless 2014 Mac Mini. The Mini also runs some other light weight server apps.

OxOOCOFFEE

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
How much RFI do they produce? All HAM radio operators do hate LED lights. Well most of them… it is not the LED itself, but cheep noisy switching power supplies in them.

• Sad
Reactions: viktorhun

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Update: HomeKitNews says the update appears to only be for North American users so far, but we've yet to see confirmation whether this is the case.
That is not correct. The 1.5.0 update of the Wiz v2 app was available in Europe (Sweden) over a week ago and added Matter-support to many of their products. I have a Wiz Candle bulb previously not supported in Apple HomeKit now well integrated.

This is what's going to hold me back - plenty of the older, un-updatable stock is likely still around, meaning you're playing roulette with placing an order for these.
If you buy in a physical store you can check the package that it is an updatable product, otherwise return.

DestructoTim

Suspended
Aug 30, 2021
I'm in the same boat as some other commenters. Live in USA, bought Wiz lights at a local Walmart, confirmed they were manufactured after the specified date. Wiz app V2 tells me none of my lights are compatible with Matter.

For anyone who needs it, here's the compatibility info: https://wizconnected.helpshift.com/hc/en/3-wiz/faq/539-matter-compatible-product-list/

At one point the had announced that the update would go live in late 2022. We are now here in mid 2023 and they are finally rolling something out, but it seems to be botched.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, was wondering if someone could help me get my compatible lights into Homekit. I've been using them with Alexa, and Google home from the start since Homekit wasn't a big deal for me. Since they are supposed to be compatible now, I would like to try it, but they won't pair. I have the latest version of the Wiz2 app iOS 16.5.1, firmware version 1.29.1, and an Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen) as my hub. Since I am using the same phone for both apps, I am using the numeric code option per Wiz's instructions, and in doing so, I am getting an error in Home app saying unable to pair accessory. I've tried several of the bulbs that show up in the Wiz app as compatible. I tap the device, get the QR code, tap start setup, and press the button to copy the numeric code to clipboard. Then in home app copy and past that into the place to enter the numeric code, and the lights won't pair. Any thoughts? Thanks I'm ok with continuing to use them with Google home, or Alexa, but would still like to try them in Homekit since I really don't have anything to use in it currently.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Maybe you need to reset them so they're no longer connected with Wiz 2? My lights aren't compatible so I can't go through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.