Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will introduce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in early May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman previously suggested the new iPads would come out in March, and then April, but the timeline has been pushed back once again.

Apple is working on updates to both the iPad Pro and iPad Air models. The iPad Pro models will get OLED display technology and the new M3 chips, while the iPad Air will come in the standard 10.9-inch size and a larger 12.9-inch size.

According to Gurman, Apple's suppliers are ramping up production of the new iPads at the current time. Apple initially planned to launch the iPads in March or early April, but is apparently working to "finish software for the new devices." The OLED iPad Pro models also need "complex new manufacturing techniques," which Gurman says has contributed to the delay.

Article Link: Apple to Launch New iPad Pro and iPad Air Models in May

Last edited:

person123

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
This "software" delay is the stupidest thing I've ever heard frankly, doesn't make a lick of sense. Apple releases software updates the same day for tens of different iPhone and iPad models. Yet somehow, these new iPad models are so fundamentally different that it's taking them weeks to finish the software? Make it make sense.

Say it's delayed due to production issues, that's reasonable. But this software thing is straight bogus.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple will introduce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in early May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman previously suggested the new iPads would come out in March, and then April, but the timeline has been pushed back once again.
Oh Oh, Gurman's dart board has to be moved again because his aim is so bad. :D

Seriously if the iPad Pro's are not released in mid April then I doubt it will show up in May a few weeks before June (WWDC). ;)

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
This "software" delay is the stupidest thing I've ever heard frankly, doesn't make a lick of sense. Apple releases software updates the same day for tens of different iPhone and iPad models. Yet somehow, these new iPad models are so fundamentally different that it's taking them weeks to finish the software? Make it make sense.

Say it's delayed due to production issues, that's reasonable. But this software thing is straight bogus.
I imagine they are just trying to get through existing inventory

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
iPad Air should not exist. The money-people at it again. Bring back the product-people.

Edit: to clarify — iPad Air should be renamed "iPad" and sold as the regular iPad model, in one size only (11"), running M1. iPad Pro should get more features including dual orientation cameras, improved speakers, additional ports such as SDXC and MagSafe 3, up to 8 TB of storage, and a variable-refresh OLED display in two sizes (11" and 13"), running M3, to further differentiate from the regular model. All iPads should support a singular model of mag-charging Apple Pencil, and all other Pencils should go bye-bye. Current regular iPad should become a corporate and education bulk-purchase item only. Streamline; improve; refine; clarify.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
This software issue could be tied with the big changes in AI they claim for iOS18.

I know AI is a big thing... but part of me feels nervous regarding how fast and how hard so many companies are jumping into it. It sure feels like Apple is planning to dive right in... but I wonder of the implications for security, privacy...

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This software issue could be tied with the big changes in AI they claim for iOS18.

I know AI is a big thing... but part of me feels nervous regarding how fast and how hard so many companies are jumping into it. It sure feels like Apple is planning to dive right in... but I wonder of the implications for security, privacy...

I've not seen an AI. To me, it looks like mass delusion. But there's money there so who cares?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.