Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Hello together!
So I ran into a little problem when connecting my LG UltraFine display to a Windows PC via USB-C. When starting the PC up the display sometimes doesn't show a picture at all and some other times the pictures isn't sharp at all. But I don't know why this happens. When connecting it to BootCamp everything works. I haven't installed any specific drivers for the display on Windows! I know this isn't a forum for Windows problems but maybe someone uses a PC next to his Mac as well and has some experience with this display running on Windows!
Thanks in advance for your responses!

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hello together!
So I ran into a little problem when connecting my LG UltraFine display to a Windows PC via USB-C. When starting the PC up the display sometimes doesn't show a picture at all and some other times the pictures isn't sharp at all. But I don't know why this happens. When connecting it to BootCamp everything works. I haven't installed any specific drivers for the display on Windows! I know this isn't a forum for Windows problems but maybe someone uses a PC next to his Mac as well and has some experience with this display running on Windows!
Thanks in advance for your responses!

1. Have you set the resolution to 4k? 5K won't work on Windows computers unless your computer supports 5K over USB-C (DP 1.4 Alt Mode).
  2. What is your computer and the specs?

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
The resolution is set to 4k! Concerning the specs I am using an MSI B450 motherboard, Ryzen 3600 CPU and an RTX 2070 Super!

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
It‘s the new one! And it is connected to the GPU via USB-C with the Virtual Link of the RTX Card!

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Im don't think the RTX 2070 Super supports DisplayPort 1.4

DisplayPort 1.4 is only needed for 5k, and works with Thunderbolt by stitching two DP 1.4 streams.
It can work with DisplayPort 1.2 for 4k and under via USB-C DP Alt Mode.
[automerge]1585782152[/automerge]
The resolution is set to 4k! Concerning the specs I am using an MSI B450 motherboard, Ryzen 3600 CPU and an RTX 2070 Super!

Are you using the Thunderbolt cable that came with your UltraFine or the USB-C cable that came with it? Try the USB-C cable and make sure you unplug your Mac from the screen when you plug your Windows PC.

Last edited:

carlover670

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
DisplayPort 1.4 is only needed for 5k, and works with Thunderbolt by stitching two DP 1.4 streams.
It can work with DisplayPort 1.2 for 4k and under via USB-C DP Alt Mode.
I completely forgot what the usb c on RTX cards do whoops.

Im not sure, would VirtualLink use those the 2 high speed lanes that were suppose to be for the second DisplayPort 1.4 stream and use them to enable the usb 3 ports on the ultrafine? Thats my only guess since thunderbolt 3 has 4 high-speed lanes vs 6 in VirtualLink.

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
I think I found a solution to my problem, so if anyone has the same issue, this might help! The trick is to unplug the monitor from the PC when starting! Replug it when the PC has fully started up! For me that works every time for now!

Reactions: HappyIntro

Robert McNewbie

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Romania
I just received my LG Ultrafine 5K and plan using it with my MBP13 QC /2018 for work.
I am exploring the possibility to use the monitor with my gaming PC.
The approach I am looking into is to install a Thunderbolt 3 AIC, connected to the GPU.
Concerning the GPU, i have to replace it and I don't know what would be the minimum nvidia gpu to drive 5K @60FPS?
It seems that the workload to drive 5K monitor pixels is comparable to two 4Kmonitors (170%)

Target game Battlefield 4 maybe 5

So far i have: ASRock Z170 EXTREME4+ and i7-6700k and another forum advice from ASRock tech support (partial quote):

"Regarding your question, ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ can support ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC with special BIOS P7.60A.
Note: The ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC need to install at PCIE3 slot and the thunderbolt AIC connector also need to connect.
You can download the BIOS from below link and update by Instant Flash.
https.. //mega.nz/#!copEwQ4L!FF2TQbw_LmvXTEAgghMd6OJI7l_5vzL016kt5t7W5Xo"

Any thoughts? did anyone tried this approach?

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
So unfortunately I can't help you with the AIC. But what I can say is that if you want to run Battlefield 5 in Ultra Settings and 5K with 60 frames per second, I would suggest at least an RTX 2080 Super. I have an RTX 2070 Super which can run Battlefield 5 at 4K with more or less solid 60fps! Sometimes it drops into the 50s! And note that this is without Raytracing enabled! As Raytracing gets more demanding with a higher resolution I wouldn't expect to be able to run a game with 5K at 60 with raytracing in any situation unless there is an option to turn on DLSS! I hope this helps you at least with your graphics card decision!

HelloAgain16

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Hello together! I have a little update on the topic of using the LG UltraFine with a PC. I bought a Displayport to USB-C bidirectional cable to connect the graphics card to my monitor and now everything works without any issues so far. But this now leads to another problem. I now can't use the ports on the monitor for peripherals like a mouse or a keyboard and the inbuilt microphone doesn't work either. I thought that by buying a bidirectional cable I would be able to do so. Has anyone got any tips on how I can use the ports of the monitor or the microphone via the graphics card? Because with the USB-C cable it works but then I have the issues with the screen as everything gets blurry on starting up again. Thank you for your answers.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hello together! I have a little update on the topic of using the LG UltraFine with a PC. I bought a Displayport to USB-C bidirectional cable to connect the graphics card to my monitor and now everything works without any issues so far. But this now leads to another problem. I now can't use the ports on the monitor for peripherals like a mouse or a keyboard and the inbuilt microphone doesn't work either.

That's normal. DisplayPort doesn't carry data. If you want to use the USB hub and microphone on a Windows computer, you need either this https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nnect-it-to-windows-computers-via-dp.2227756/ or a ThunderBolt PCIe Card that supports DP 1.4 and Thunderbolt.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
Displayport 1.4 is *not* required for the LG 5K. It requires 2 x Displayport 1.2. I currently have a gigabyte titan ridge card with two DP 1.2 outputs from my radeon RX570 going into it and then a TB3 cable to my LG 5K and it works fine in Windows (although currently battling a strange missing mouse cursor issue)

Reactions: joshseibert

jvretuerto

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
Hi Guys!

I'm looking for some help getting my LG Ultrafine 5K (27MD5KA) to work with my work PC (HP EliteDesk 800) which only has two displayport outputs and one VGA output. I've tried the Moshi USB-C to Displayport cable today but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chiefthegr8

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Hi Guys!

I'm looking for some help getting my LG Ultrafine 5K (27MD5KA) to work with my work PC (HP EliteDesk 800) which only has two displayport outputs and one VGA output. I've tried the Moshi USB-C to Displayport cable today but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

For a 27MD5KA monitor, you need a Thunderbolt 3 expansion card to power up the display. So, you will connect a DP to mini-DP cable from your graphics card to the thunderbolt card and connect a TB3 cable from the TB card to the monitor. I have a similar setup and I tried using bidirectional Displayport to USB-C cables and it never worked. Going down the TB3 path was the ONLY way I got it to work.

Good luck!

Chiefthegr8

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Fellow Macrumors,

I have three LG 27MD5KA monitors that I'd like to use. Here's my system's specs:
1. AMD Ryzen 3950X
2. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
3. NVIDIA Titan RTX (3 DPs, 1 HDMI and 1 USB-C)
4. Gigabyte Titan Ridge GC Thunderbolt 3 expansion card
6. Windows 10 x64 Enterprise

I am able to power up 4 non-LG monitors with my existing system without any issues as long as I don't use TB3. I am able to power up ONE LG 27MD5KA (on TB3) with 3 non-LG monitors (2 DP and 1 USB-C or 1 HDMI).

Here's the trouble... The moment I setup more than one LG 27MD5KA (over TB3), only one LG monitor powers up. I know the "passive" monitor is active, because I can activate the built-in speaker and camera.

OK - time to make it weird... If I boot my system in Ubuntu Linux, two LG monitors power up OK. If I add two non-LG monitors to the setup, only one non-LG monitor would power up.

Ideally, I'd like to run all three LG 27MD5KA monitors with one additional non-LG monitor.

I tried using bidirectional DP to USB-C directly to the LG monitors, but it didn't work. I tried using a USB-C to USB-C directly to the LG monitors, again it didn't work. I tried using all sorts of cables to no avail.

At this point, I am grasping at straws. I appreciate if anyone has ideas. My friend believes a ghost is messing with my system. I am starting to believe it! :)

jvretuerto

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2020
For a 27MD5KA monitor, you need a Thunderbolt 3 expansion card to power up the display. So, you will connect a DP to mini-DP cable from your graphics card to the thunderbolt card and connect a TB3 cable from the TB card to the monitor. I have a similar setup and I tried using bidirectional Displayport to USB-C cables and it never worked. Going down the TB3 path was the ONLY way I got it to work.

Good luck!
Thank you for your suggestion, much appreciated. Unfortunately, I’m unable to make any upgrades to my work pc as it was provided by my employer and I also don’t think it’s possible to upgrade an HP EliteDesk 800.

Does anyone know if the moshi usb-c to DisplayPort work with the newer model (27MD5KL-B)?

Thanks!

gtdevo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D (mini-ITX) motherboard will work with Windows 10 on the ultrafine 5k display?

And will it work with all functionality - usb hub, camera, microphone?
And with the ability to use other monitors (non-5k) at the same time, either via daisychaining from the ultrafine 5k OR direct from the graphics card Displayport/HDMI in the PC?

I plan to pair the motherboard with one of these AMD RX570/RX580/RX5700/RX5700xt (depending which one I can get my hands on)

And these are the Z590i Vision D motherboard onboard graphics specs:

Integrated Graphics Processor+Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4 Controller:
  1. 2 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4 connectors (USB Type-C® ports), supporting DisplayPort and Thunderbolt™ video outputs and a maximum resolution of 5120x2880@60 Hz with 24 bpp (via single display output)
    * Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the number of Thunderbolt™ devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express devices being installed. (Refer to Chapter 1-7, "Back Panel Connectors," for more information.)
    * Support for DisplayPort 1.4 version and HDCP 2.3.
    (Graphics specifications may vary depending on CPU support.)
And the motherboard backpanel ports:
  1. 1 x DisplayPort In Port
  2. 2 x Thunderbolt™ 4 connectors (USB Type-C® port, with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support)
Thanks for any advice

Deeplocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Hey All

Wanted to ask a question about this.
I currently have my AIC thunderbolt card plugged into my 3080 GPU. The windows 10 computer recognizes the display as display 3 but the screen is black. Has anyone run into this issue.

Reactions: gbrlcbra

gbrlcbra

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
Hey All

Wanted to ask a question about this.
I currently have my AIC thunderbolt card plugged into my 3080 GPU. The windows 10 computer recognizes the display as display 3 but the screen is black. Has anyone run into this issue.
I just ran into this issue, I downloaded the LG ONScreen Control and it lit up after I increased the brightness. I am waiting for my Gigabyte TitanRidge Card to run a full 5K.

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
Are we saying you need two cables to run a 4k display? A DP to thunderbolt + plus a usb-c to usb-c?

I've tried this on Win 11 and can hear a chime coming from the speakers on the display, but no picture.

222ridepegasus

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Scotland
Are we saying you need two cables to run a 4k display? A DP to thunderbolt + plus a usb-c to usb-c?

I've tried this on Win 11 and can hear a chime coming from the speakers on the display, but no picture.
@smckenzie you need to run a it through an ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 card, which you then connect to your Graphics card (in my case RTX 4090) you use the x2 Mini DisplayPort to Display port Cables supplied with card to connect to the GPU and then connect the Thunderbolt Cable from the monitor to the expansion card...

This works and I can run it at 5K. If I only connect 1x Mini DisplayPort to Display I can only see it in 4K.

However, I do not know how to adjust the brightness at all, anybody have any ideas? Audio does work but is really overdriven at high volume...

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
@smckenzie you need to run a it through an ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 card, which you then connect to your Graphics card (in my case RTX 4090) you use the x2 Mini DisplayPort to Display port Cables supplied with card to connect to the GPU and then connect the Thunderbolt Cable from the monitor to the expansion card...

This works and I can run it at 5K. If I only connect 1x Mini DisplayPort to Display I can only see it in 4K.

However, I do not know how to adjust the brightness at all, anybody have any ideas? Audio does work but is really overdriven at high volume...
Thanks for the response.

I figured it out in the end. I used a DP > TB cable from the GPU to the main input on the display, then a TB cable from the same GPU (6900XT) to the regular UBC on the display. With this I would hear a chime but the screen was black. To fix that you need a working display so you can download and install the LG OSD for the display. The little app has a brightness slider which was all the way down, soon as I cranked this up voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.