Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is so bizarre. I just got my new high-end 16" MBP, and yep - ProMotion is not fully working out of the box. It's on MacOS 12.0, so will be updating to 12.0.1 to see if it fixes it.

Now, before anyone says anything, yes, - ProMotion IS working when moving windows around etc. It's super smooth. But scrolling in Safari/Chrome etc it's clearly running at 60hz. Messages IS taking advantage of ProMotion, though, as scrolling through messages etc is nice and smooth (just like on the new iPad 12.9 and iPhone 13 Pro series).

Really hoping that the MacOS update to 12.0.1 sorts out the browsing frame-rate, though... because currently it's NOT any better than previous years, of course, and quite chunky.

*Edit*

12.0.1 does not address the problem. This will require a software update.

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I do know that people on Monterey (not all use MBP 2021s) have issues with scrolling lag on Safari. But idk . Haven't gotten my new MBP so can't test anything.

Hopefully they fix everything in the next few updates. Which they probably will...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I do know that people on Monterey (not all use MBP 2021s) have issues with scrolling lag on Safari. But idk . Haven't gotten my new MBP so can't test anything.

Hopefully they fix everything in the next few updates. Which they probably will...
Hope it gets sorted out. Browsing the web is so much smoother on the iPhone 13 Pro (OLED helps with instant pixel response) and on the latest iPad Pro 12.9.

Reactions: LFC2020

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Noticed exactly this when I tried the new machines this morning at the Apple Store, couldn't notice the ProMotion display at all in comparison with the iPhone Pro and iPad Pro.
Unfortunately web browsing isn’t working correctly with it. If you scroll Messages or the App Store or just moving windows around the screen - it’s super smooth as it should be, and clearly 120hz.

Reactions: LFC2020

Milennia

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
I daily a 144hz display on my gaming PC and promotion on ipad pro, and I 100% can notice the 60 hz specifically when browsing pages, it appears to work everywhere else

Reactions: WilliamG

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I daily a 144hz display on my gaming PC and promotion on ipad pro, and I 100% can notice the 60 hz specifically when browsing pages, it appears to work everywhere else
Yup. I use a 165hz all the time. Browsing the web is flat-out broken on these new MacBooks. Insanity.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Unfortunately web browsing isn’t working correctly with it. If you scroll Messages or the App Store or just moving windows around the screen - it’s super smooth as it should be, and clearly 120hz.

Well, let's see how long til MacRumours make an article about this on the news front page haha

I hope it gets fixed clickly, since I'm getting mine between 18-25 November.

Reactions: WilliamG

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I don’t see the problem after two hours with it.

You should update it as soon as you unbox it because it is running a pre-release macOS.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don’t see the problem after two hours with it.

You should update it as soon as you unbox it because it is running a pre-release macOS.
I updated. Problem is still there. If you don't see it, cool, but... it's not working properly. The rest of the OS is, and even in a VM the browser is working as it should. Native browsing is borked.

alexqndr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
London
I doesn’t seem like a major issue to me. It’s clearly going to get fixed ASAP. And in the meantime you can swap to steady 60hz. Which is not going to affect anything else in practice. Pro motion is just the cherry on top for me, not the main meal. So I’d be okay to wait a few weeks for a bug fix. It would be concerning if it was an hardware feature. And it’s not

Reactions: cygy2k and 3Rock

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
How did you determine what the refresh rate is for your browsers? Lack of smooth scrolling by itself doesn't imply anything about the refresh rate. That can be caused by how the browser loads pages, which typically involves compromises for power and memory efficiency such as loading images and even stuff you may not see as you scroll.

ctishue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
Using the blurbusters website, safari does not detect or run above 60fps. Firefox does run at 120 though. Interesting. I don't see any stutter while scrolling in either browser though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Using the blurbusters website, safari does not detect or run above 60fps. Firefox does run at 120 though. Interesting. I don't see any stutter while scrolling in either browser though.
Firefox runs the same as Safari/Chrome, i.e. bad. It seems like apps need to be updated to support ProMotion. e.g Facebook Messenger (and WhatsApp) do not run with ProMotion 120hz, but Messages does. Scrolling is so clearly so much smoother on Messages than FB Messenger/WhatsApp.

What's weird is that Firefox is reporting higher framerates on the Blurbuster test.

But in actual usage it runs the same as Safari...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Firefox runs the same as Safari/Chrome, i.e. bad. It seems like apps need to be updated to support ProMotion. e.g Facebook Messenger (and WhatsApp) do not run with ProMotion 120hz, but Messages does. Scrolling is so clearly so much smoother on Messages than FB Messenger/WhatsApp.

What's weird is that Firefox is reporting higher framerates on the Blurbuster test.

These apps aren't even Apple Silicon and they are poorly coded stuff from FB.. Honestly best option is us getting a 3rd party chat box that supports

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

If the ProMotion tech's adaptive refresh rate is ridiculous enough to require apps to 'opt in' to 120Hz that's an instant fail and oversight because legacy apps won't be updated. Hopefully someone comes out with an app that lets you lock in 120Hz without the adaptive nonsense.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If the ProMotion tech's adaptive refresh rate is ridiculous enough to require apps to 'opt in' to 120Hz that's an instant fail and oversight because legacy apps won't be updated. Hopefully someone comes out with an app that lets you lock in 120Hz without the adaptive nonsense.
It's the same on the iPad Pro 12.9 latest generation, too, with a few apps not working right. e.g. the Gmail app doesn't run at 120fps.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It's the same on the iPad Pro 12.9 latest generation, too, with a few apps not working right. e.g. the Gmail app doesn't run at 120fps.

I knew about that but somehow figured Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to do the same for macOS wherein a considerable portion of apps do NOT come from the App Store/won't get updated for ProMotion. Yet another anti-consumer workaround that effectively gimps one of the best features of these new machines.

• Angry
Reactions: LFC2020 and cygy2k

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Blurbusters shows 60FPS for iPadOS as well, but scrolling is still at 120FPS. Hopefully with the introduction of 120Hz on MacOS, they will update Safari on all OS's to support 120FPS animation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.