[Wikipedia-l] Alternative language wikipedias

Jimmy Wales jwales at aristotle.bomis.com
Fri Mar 16 01:24:53 UTC 2001

I want to set up some alternative language wikipedias.

French and German would be good, and Cdani has offered to not inflict his
terrible English on us if we make a Catalan wikipedia.  :-)  (I'm just
teasing, but he has expressed an interest.)

I intend to setup the following domain names and wikis:

french.wikipedia.com
francais.wikipedia.com
(both pointing to the same thing)

german.wikipedia.com
deustche.wikipedia.com
(both pointing to the same thing)

spanish.wikipedia.com
espanol.wikipedia.com
(both pointing to the same thing)

Are those the right words to use?

I would also consider

nihongo.wikipedia.com
japanese.wikipedia.com

One problem is going to be technical support of these languages, since if there
are "fancy letter" problems, I will not know much how to deal with them.  Japanese
is pretty much _all_ "fancy letters", but I assume that Linux/Apache/Perl will just
magically support it?  Or will they be forced to use non-fancy ASCII urls?

Anyhow, it seems like a useful thing to do this.