The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20081006065927/http://osdir.com:80/ml/science.linguistics.wikipedia.international/2003-03/msg00008.html
logo

Choosing A Webhost:
A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to provide their own website accessible via the World Wide Web. Web hosts are companies that provide space on a server they own for use by their clients as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center. Web hosts can also provide data center space and connectivity to the Internet for servers they do not own to be located in their data center, called colocation. more...

[long] Enciclopedia Libre: msg#00008

Subject: [long] Enciclopedia Libre
Hello,

On February 26, 2002. The Spanish contributrors
forked and made a seperate Spanish Encyclopeida,
located it now in a Spanish University. They called
it Enciclopedia Libre (EL)

Now, Juanan, is installing the new software  (Wikipedia3)
on a new server. Within, some days, he will have the work
done.

They still want a sperate project for the sake of freedom,
diversity and decentralization.

Do they need us ? Do they lose something for not being
on es.wikipedia.org (ES)? I thing they do not.

*Participants: they have much more participants than ES.
A lot of participants have left ES for EL because it was
more active. On ES they are only 2 or 3 participants and
some participants contributing on more than one wiki.

*Articles: it is very easy for them to check the dozen of
daily edits on ES and to copy or modify EL articles according
to them.

Do we need EL ? We need EL.

*Articles: they have more articles, it is not easy to copy
all articles from EL, at least without a bot.
*Participants:
**when there is nobody, people tend to leave.
**when there is more people on another project, people go to the
pther project, and so on.

What can we do ?

*A bot for copying articles ? I do not like much that idea
because it is not easy to implement and it is not very fair.

*Links to EL. We can add a new code for interlinguals links, there
already exists links [[fr:XX]], [[en:XX]], why not
[[EnciclopediaLibre:XX]] (or something shorter)

I think, if Juanan install the new software and enables links
to all wikipedia languages, we should also make links to EL in some
ways.

My conclusion. They do not need Wikipedia : I mean the Wikipedia server,
contributors on ES, ... They also do not want to go back to Wikipedia.
If we want to have a good Spanish articles, we should colaborate with them.
Why not making es.wikipedia.org a redirection to enciclopedia.us.es
and making backups of EL ?

I want to have a good Spanish enciclopedia, I do not care where it is
located if it is free and has links to other languages.

I think

Regards,

Youssef

Ruby Jobs